Pseudo Brooder Heater 'Plate'

Pics
Funny you say that aart. I couldnt get my girls under it either. I had one chick I got under it and she stayed under there for a couple hours but couldnt get the others to go under it. Theyve been using the light all week. :( Its fine since one of us is home, but if we need to go somewhere I do not trust that heat lamp left on with no one home. Ill try maybe a flashlight to lure them?

How are your chicks with the horizontal water nipple? We got them all to figure out how to use it, but it seemed their beaks werent pecking it hard enough to release the water. Ive got them using a small saucer & lid for a waterer for now.

I used a small puck light...luckily they got it before the batteries ran out(were low anyway)...stuck it between the pad and the rack shining down on the floor underneath. Still not sure if that's what did the trick, but I turned the heat lamp off well before they went under the heat pad so it was the only warm place to be.

The HN has not been used yet by these chicks, I do think they are too weak to push the button...tho I had 2 days olds using it last year without a hitch. I use a regular gravity waterer at first to make sure they don't get dehydrated, then will continue to encourage them to use the HN...only time will tell. I was just discussing with someone yesterday about starting day olds on a vertical nipple, then transitioning to the horizontals...might work better than from a dish to the HN.

It's all an experiment to me, but then I'm mostly retired and have lots of time to play and observe. I cannot imagine keeping chickens or raising chicks when I was gone working 10 hours a day.

I used a small puck light...luckily they got it before the batteries ran out(were low anyway)...stuck it between the pad and the rack shining down on the floor underneath. Still not sure if that's what did the trick, but I turned the heat lamp off well before they went under the heat pad so it was the only warm place to be.

The HN has not been used yet by these chicks, I do think they are too weak to push the button...tho I had 2 days olds using it last year without a hitch. I use a regular gravity waterer at first to make sure they don't get dehydrated, then will continue to encourage them to use the HN...only time will tell. I was just discussing with someone yesterday about starting day olds on a vertical nipple, then transitioning to the horizontals...might work better than from a dish to the HN.

It's all an experiment to me, but then I'm mostly retired and have lots of time to play and observe. I cannot imagine keeping chickens or raising chicks when I was gone working 10 hours a day.
That's what I do, too, aart. I start them out on vertical and switch them over. Right now all of the Littles are using the Horizontals very well. Then I just "retire" the bucket with the vertical nipples until the next chicks.

Love the heater!

I have a premier heat plate. Bought it last year right before the heating pad info came out. I love my Premier, but when it plays out I plan on making one of these.

@aart ~ Just got back from Atwoods and picked up a bucket with vertical nipples to use for my English Orps. I'll probably keep them on those at least while they are in the brooder. Maybe try the horizontals when they are around 4 weeks or so.

Love the heater!

I have a premier heat plate. Bought it last year right before the heating pad info came out. I love my Premier, but when it plays out I plan on making one of these.

@aart ~ Just got back from Atwoods and picked up a bucket with vertical nipples to use for my English Orps. I'll probably keep them on those at least while they are in the brooder. Maybe try the horizontals when they are around 4 weeks or so.
@henless lol I bought a pack of VN's today, will put one in the brooder and see what happens.
As me and my friend Sam say regularly, 'It's an experiment!'

ETA: the thing I hate about VN's?....you can't set the vessel down anywhere because of the nipple on the bottom
barnie.gif

Last edited:
@henless lol I bought a pack of VN's today, will put one in the brooder and see what happens.
As me and my friend Sam say regularly, 'It's an experiment!'

ETA: the thing I hate about VN's?....you can't set the vessel down anywhere because of the nipple on the bottom
barnie.gif
I know!! I have a small one gallon pail with handle for my babies to be. They better grow fast and start using the horizontal ones!

Yeah yeah, singing to the choir here.
But I'm not in the choir so it's great info to get. I love both styles and I have a metal rack that will work perfectly for it. I'm not a handyman. (And my handyman is busy for two solid months). Can I bungie cord the rack and wood together? A buddy on La thread babysat my bantam Sebrights and they probably will not need it but I want to have it available for newbies. I'll be getting my Sebrights in another week.

Well, finally got to try out the newest iteration of the pseudo heater plate, as my hatch started yesterday...... 2 days early.
I kept them under a light for about half the day so I could see that they were eatingdrinkingpooping ok, then tried to get them to use the heater by turning off the heat lamp and holding them under there a few times.

They weren't buying it, tho they didn't seem especially cold either.

Had heard a good tip about someone using one the those battery operated tealights to draw them under,
thought I had some but couldn't find them...think I gave them away(darn!)
Found another battery light and stuck it underneath the pad to shine on the sand under the heater, not sure if that's what convinced them but I went down later and they were under there having a snooze.

My video skills are not sublime, just go thsi video capable camera a few weeks ago, but here it is:
0.jpg
Aart, I gotta tell ya this is one of the best videos ever!!!! So informative and CUTE!!

I really like the idea of using a heating pad. Especially aart's "grate" idea. I'm new to this. My first chicks don't arrive until June. Even though the wait is almost unbearable I'll have lots of time to prepare. How many chicks fit under it? I'll have 16 and wonder if one is big enough or should I plan on setting up two?

I really like the idea of using a heating pad. Especially aart's "grate" idea. I'm new to this. My first chicks don't arrive until June. Even though the wait is almost unbearable I'll have lots of time to prepare. How many chicks fit under it? I'll have 16 and wonder if one is big enough or should I plan on setting up two?
The latest with larger pad
(Sunbeam 2013-912 Xpress Heat Microplush Heating Pad for Quick Pain Relief, Extra Large 12" x 24")
should work for 16
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/862691/pseudo-brooder-heater-plate/60#post_14954247

Back
Top Bottom