Pullet has blood on comb. Advice?

blbgp

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
I came home to a chicken with blood on her comb. Some was relatively fresh, some had started to scab. It's hard to tell if she ripped it or if she hit her head hard on something. She has some crusted blood around her nostrils. There are splatters of blood on the feeder.

I watched them for a long time and the other ladies are leaving her wound alone, thankfully! She is acting totally normal.

What should I do at this point? Is there a cream I should put on it to prevent infection or should I let it be? I will continue to make sure no one pecks at her , and remove her if they do....anything else I should consider?

Sorry for the picture quality...I had to use my cell.

35394_433112878_1505170939_0.jpeg

35394_433113439_1505173015_0.jpeg

35394_433112666_1505170161_0.jpeg

I will get some of the tar liquid and apply it on the wound, that way if other hen starts t pick on her, she will learn a lesson and hate the test of the tar.

It's possible someone was picking on her. We only have four, and we've never seen more than posturing between them all. She's the oldest.

Where does one find blu coat or tar liquid? I've been watching them and no one's coming close to pecking on her wound - they're all acting normal.

Thats definitely from being pecked, thats my thought anyway. It could be flies are eating at it and making it worse. I'd blucoat it and isolate her until its better.

Any Feed Store should have it. Never put neosporin with pain reliever on a bird... toxic

If she were my girl I would wash it and dry it gently .. dab regular neosporin on it .... let they stay for an hour or so and then coat it with tar or blu coat... and separate her for a day or two ...while applying neosporin and blue coat or tar daily...

When she is scabbed up and it looks better... before putting her back with the others I would be sure and have freshly applied blue coat or tar so that the rest of the girls will be discouraged from pecking again.

I never tried the tar liquid, but blue coat or Rooster Booster is very concentrated and covers the red with a dark blue and gives a nasty numbing taste when messed with.

Birds are attracted to the spot they may have accidently started. Blue coat or rooster booster eliminates that attraction by hiding the sore too.

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks everyone. Feed stores don't open until the morning, so I can't get blucoat until then. In the meantime, I will wash it and apply neosporin. I've been watching them for awhile and no one has attempted to peck at her. Do you still think I should separate her overnight? It's getting close to dark, and the four of them are eating right before they roost for the night.

I would let them together tonight and separate them first thing in the morning. Birds are not aggressive at nite ... but seriously I would pull her out first thing and leave her in her own space while you run to the feed store... you can neosporin her again before you go and then when you get back it will have sat for a spell and she will be ready for the rooster booster or blue coat... I think they are the same thing.. Good LUCK

Back
Top Bottom