Pullet limping

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
One of my Ameraucana pullets is suddenly limping. I just came out to check on them and noticed she was sitting down a lot. When she got up she started limping. I looked at her foot and didn't see anything wrong, but maybe I'm missing something. I suppose it could just be something little that goes away on its own but I really don't want anything bad to happen to her she is one of my good show quality Ameraucanas :(

Does she hold the leg up, or put weight on it? Is she using her wings to balance? You may want to limit her activity and prevent her from jumping up and down from the roost for a week or so. A wire dog crate with food and water can be a good place where she can stay and also be near her flock. Videos may be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Hopefully it is a sprain, and not something more serious such as Mareks.

Does she hold the leg up, or put weight on it? Is she using her wings to balance? You may want to limit her activity and prevent her from jumping up and down from the roost for a week or so. A wire dog crate with food and water can be a good place where she can stay and also be near her flock. Videos may be uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. Hopefully it is a sprain, and not something more serious such as Mareks.
Yes she holds it up off the ground when standing still

Well, that is probably better since it tells me the leg hurts, and is not numb or not working. Continue to look for any bumblefoot scabs or swelling, or green bruising along the leg. Aspirin 81mg can be used once or twice a day for 3 days to help with pain and inflammation.

Well she is still limping today. And she was coughing or sneezing or something. Sounds like there is fluid in her airways.

It would be good to look for any bubbles or foam in either eye, nasal drainage, and note if she is sneezing often. How does her crop feel? If she is having a crop problem, sometimes crop contents can come back up into the airway and make them sound rattly. So it helps to rule out a full puffy crop versus a respiratory issue. Check her crop now and again first thing in the morning to see if it is empty.

Back
Top Bottom