Pullet or Cockerel

Hens Solo

Songster
Nov 6, 2019
LaFayette Georgia
I really need some help here. I've got a barnyard mix of 6 week old chickens and I'm trying to learn how to sex them. I don't care about the breed( I tried to post that and some smart aleck told me they weren't donkeys or mules!) If someone with a little experience could help me decide which ones I keep and which ones might need "freezer" treatment I would be eternally grateful! I say all hens. What say ye? Out of the 8 how many do you think are roos?

Attachments

• IMG_6896.JPG
    IMG_6896.JPG
    324.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6897.JPG
    IMG_6897.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6901.JPG
    IMG_6901.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6905.JPG
    IMG_6905.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6906.JPG
    IMG_6906.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6907.JPG
    IMG_6907.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6909.JPG
    IMG_6909.JPG
    361.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6910.JPG
    IMG_6910.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 30
I wouldn't bet any of them were headed to the freezer so far. The next to the last one pictured is the one I would worry about most but just because of the coloring.
Don't take my predictions too seriously though. I'm always way to optimistic about who will turn out to be a pullet.
(P.S. sorry about the smart a**. I'm sure they were just trying to be humorous and didn't mean to be offensive.
Most everyone on BYC tries hard to be helpful.)

The first one, white one, and blue one look like cockerels. Those are the only ones that kinda stand out right now.
Thank you so much for your opinions! I've got another 5 or 6 six weeks before I need to make my decisions. I do believe some of them are cockerels. Some are already showing aggression and chasing other chickens. One small chicken has already been pecked to death.

I agree with @Gray Farms, pictures 1, 4, and 6 (if they stay in the same order for everyone) are the ones I think are boys.
Oh wait, hmm, the middle one I think is a boy is not the all white one it's the mostly white/silver one in the picture right before the white one.

I agree with @Gray Farms, pictures 1, 4, and 6 (if they stay in the same order for everyone) are the ones I think are boys.
Oh wait, hmm, the middle one I think is a boy is not the all white one it's the mostly white/silver one in the picture right before the white one.
Now that I go back and look again maybe the white one is male, those are pretty stout legs and I see some wattles beginning to emerge.

Thank you so much for your opinions! I've got another 5 or 6 six weeks before I need to make my decisions. I do believe some of them are cockerels. Some are already showing aggression and chasing other chickens. One small chicken has already been pecked to death.

Watch for significant comb & wattle growth in the next couple weeks. Those will be your cockerels.

I really need some help here. I've got a barnyard mix of 6 week old chickens and I'm trying to learn how to sex them. I don't care about the breed( I tried to post that and some smart aleck told me they weren't donkeys or mules!) If someone with a little experience could help me decide which ones I keep and which ones might need "freezer" treatment I would be eternally grateful! I say all hens. What say ye? Out of the 8 how many do you think are roos?
nice photos. They are still a bit young to really sex well, but it looks like number 1 may be a cockerel/rooster.

Keep an eye out for fast growing red bits on the head - the comb and wattles - by seeing those at a young age you can almost guarantee they will be male.

Honestly they all look like girls to me, except maybe number one. But maybe it’s the position he/she is in that’s giving me roo vibes. They all have pretty pale comb/wattles, which is a good sign if not a for sure way of telling.

Back
Top Bottom