Pullet or roo??

Chick #2, Black Copper Maran, 7 weeks. Comb isn't really growing, still yellow to slightly pink, no wattle growth at all. Also no copper in the neck. Little bits of copper appearing at the wing tips but is almost entirely black

Last one :) Chick #3, Easter egger, 7 weeks. Can't even find pictures of one colored like this to compare, though I'm sure they're out there. Super hard to get a picture of, this one is the most skittish. When I can get close enough, I do see distinct ridges in the comb, but it's still yellow.

Hi there! For future reference, the appropriate thing to do when you have questions regarding your own birds breed or gender is make a new thread for them. We are happy to answer them, but having multiple askers on the same thread can make replying very confusing! However, since you have already posted here I will try to answer your queries.
Easter egger, 9 weeks
Sorry, first pic I tried to post of the EE, 9 weeks
I would definitely be suspicious of this one - it seems like a lot of light, gray/black and white/black EEs tend to become cockerels, and the size and redness of the comb in combination with the curving at the end of the tail makes me think you may have a young cockerel on your hands.
Chick #2, Black Copper Maran, 7 weeks. Comb isn't really growing, still yellow to slightly pink, no wattle growth at all. Also no copper in the neck. Little bits of copper appearing at the wing tips but is almost entirely black
I would say that, so far, you appear to have a pullet. Lovely small comb, female body shape, and very little copper are all good indicators of such.
Last one :) Chick #3, Easter egger, 7 weeks. Can't even find pictures of one colored like this to compare, though I'm sure they're out there. Super hard to get a picture of, this one is the most skittish. When I can get close enough, I do see distinct ridges in the comb, but it's still yellow.
Zoomed in as much as I could
EEs are always tricky, but so far this one is looking like a beautiful pullet! The really nicely rounded body and feathers and very small comb are good signs.

Last edited:
Hi there! For future reference, the appropriate thing to do when you have questions regarding your own birds breed or gender is make a new thread for them. We are happy to answer them, but having multiple askers on the same thread can make replying very confusing! However, since you have already posted here I will try to answer your queries.

I would definitely be suspicious of this one - it seems like a lot of light, gray/black and white/black EEs tend to become cockerels, and the size and redness of the comb in combination with the curving at the end of the tail makes me think you may have a young cockerel on your hands.
I would say that, so far, you appear to have a pullet. Lovely small comb, female body shape, and very little copper are all good indicators of such.

EEs are always tricky, but so far this one is looking like a beautiful pullet! The really nicely rounded body and feathers and very small comb are good signs.

Thanks for all the info! And for clarifying about starting a new thread. There's a huge EE thread about this topic with many people posting their pics for guessing so I thought that was the norm. Good to know!

I am definitely suspicious of the first EE, more hoping than anything else that this one is a pullet. This was a classroom hatch, only egg of 9 that hatched, and my daughter will be crushed if it crows and we have to find it a new home. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for all the info! And for clarifying about starting a new thread. There's a huge EE thread about this topic with many people posting their pics for guessing so I thought that was the norm. Good to know!

I am definitely suspicious of the first EE, more hoping than anything else that this one is a pullet. This was a classroom hatch, only egg of 9 that hatched, and my daughter will be crushed if it crows and we have to find it a new home. Fingers crossed!

Ah, the EE thread is the exception to the rule. I think their may be a Silkie thread also; both breeds are notoriously difficult to sex. But in general, it's best to make your own thread for your questions and photos.

Have you considered a no-crow collar if the bird is in fact a cockerel? They do not always work but they can sometimes be very effective in reducing the volume and frequency of crowing. They can be purchased premade but can also be made at home for under $10 and with little effort; all that is needed is Velcro and scissors.

Sorry, first pic I tried to post of the EE, 9 weeks
Probably cockerel

Pullet

Zoomed in as much as I could
Pullet

Back
Top Bottom