Pullet with paralyzed legs

I did read most of the article....it was very interesting and informative. Thank you.
We're hoping it's not mareks and perhaps ate something moldy or rancid.
If it is mareks, I'm not quite sure how you manage your flock with it if it's incurable, kills birds and highly contagious.
Because it's a herpes virus, it works in "outbreak" fashion. (Much like it does in humans) It is extremely prevalent, but most folks don't even know they have it because when it's not in outbreak form, they will only lose one bird here or there.-

And, because it exacerbates other common problems like impacted crops, internal laying, bacterial infections, etc., folks often credit those minor problems with the death of their birds, not following up with a necropsy to be sure.

So, outbreaks are ugly.

You may see bird after bird become sick, listless, lose control of limbs or wings, stop eating, etc. etc., especially if you have any other stress factors in your coop. (Stress seems to bring it on, which is why we see more of it during molt and the beginning of breeding season.)

In my world, as soon as I see anything close to an outbreak, I immediately cull those birds. It s not an easy thing, but the dander sick birds shed becomes intensely fortified with virus and I just don't need more of that in my flock. This method does seem to have stemmed the losses.

Purchasing vaccinated birds is probably the very best option, even if you do not want to test for MDV. They may contract it, but they won't succumb.

I am more than glad to try to field questions. I remember being absolutely devastated when I received my necropsy findings. And then, I just learned and learned until my head hurt. :) Now I have lovely breeding pens set up, a dose of Marek's vaccine on the way, and some chicks in the incubator!

Mareks can be confirmed with a necropsy after death (ask for Mareks testing) if done by the state vet or poultry lab. I would suggest ruling out an injury in only one bird, but since you have had 2 others who have died mysteriously, it is probably time to get a necropsy done if you lose her. Sometimes if lameness is due to diet or a vitamin or mineral deficiency, it can help to treat with a supplement such as Poultry Cell or another poultry vitamin. So sorry.

Very interesting information here! Thank you all for your input.
The sick birds are all gone so I cannot pursue necropsy on them. If/when I have another death, i will look into it. It would be good to confirm whether it's mareks or not.

What was different in my flock that I've never had before is the number of birds. The flock increased this year's from 10 to 20. I felt there was not enough room for them all and I think they were stressed when inside the coop/run. They are let out to the enclosed pasture area which is protected with an electrified fence (for the goats) daily where they have plenty of room but they do spend the day cooped up. It's entirely possible that the added stress made them susceptible to an outbreak.

It's interesting to compare mareks to a herpes outbreak in humans. I will keep that in mind and use that comparison to explain to my husband who is sometimes difficult to convince.

I started supplementing with Chicken Booster which does contain B12 and will ingredients to Poultry Cell.

Thanks again for all your great advice!

I personally don't have my bird vaccinated and will not. I don't want the symptoms of Marek's masked in my flock and believe in breeding for natural resistance. Vaccines don't stop your birds from getting it, just makes the symptoms LESS severe. And the state lab in Davis said as far as they are concerned it's in EVERY north American flock whether they have symptoms or not.

No, it didn't wipe out my whole flock. I lost 2 birds (out of 82) about 3 weeks apart and remained vigilant. Both were either Silkie or Silkie cross. And by lost... I mean the first bird lived 3 weeks (in quarantine) before I culled and the second bird was culled on day 2 of symptoms... that was only limping. The first was 9 weeks old at onset and the other was also a juvenile. Note, there are different strains of Marek's and some will be the MORE deadly strain. Comparison to human herpes is good comparison since it IS a herpes virus... :barnie

I personally don't have my bird vaccinated and will not. I don't want the symptoms of Marek's masked in my flock and believe in breeding for natural resistance. Vaccines don't stop your birds from getting it, just makes the symptoms LESS severe. And the state lab in Davis said as far as they are concerned it's in EVERY north American flock whether they have symptoms or not.

No, it didn't wipe out my whole flock. I lost 2 birds (out of 82) about 3 weeks apart and remained vigilant. Both were either Silkie or Silkie cross. And by lost... I mean the first bird lived 3 weeks (in quarantine) before I culled and the second bird was culled on day 2 of symptoms... that was only limping. The first was 9 weeks old at onset and the other was also a juvenile. Note, there are different strains of Marek's and some will be the MORE deadly strain. Comparison to human herpes is good comparison since it IS a herpes virus... :barnie
The vaccination question was one I have researched and researched. Through all of that, I realized it is quite a personal decision, and I really respect both sides of the discussion.

One thing I will point out is that the vaccine doesn't mask the symptoms of Marek's. The birds who are vaccinated do not manifest symptoms because their bodies do not develop the deadly tumors that cause the symptoms. That said, it does not keep them from "catching" the virus. But, the most common major loss of birds with Marek's is when it is in outbreak form. Most vaccinated birds do not have outbreaks, thereby not sluffing off the more virulent dander. In the same way that we try to cull early when symptomatic birds are spotted (to keep them from spreading large quantities of infected dander), the vaccine seems to also stem the spread of the same.
I found an interesting article about the vaccine, and some, perhaps, possible human implications it might have. I particularly noted the caption under the first photo "Marek's...in all poultry environments".
https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/vaccines-hitch-genomic-ride-ward-deadly-chicken-disease

Back
Top Bottom