Pullets havent laid in a whole year!!

English (non feathered leg) White marans? Seems highly unlikely... I'm stumped. That's a good looking egg. If you can find out what hatchery your rural king ordered from, and check out their website you'll get an idea of which white breeds they sell. That'll help.

Edited to ad, Meyer hatchery carries white marans... Look like your girls.. could be?

Last edited:
English (non feathered leg) White marans? Seems highly unlikely... I'm stumped. That's a good looking egg. If you can find out what hatchery your rural king ordered from, and check out their website you'll get an idea of which white breeds they sell. That'll help.

Edited to ad, Meyer hatchery carries white marans... Look like your girls.. could be?
But that isn't something you are likely to find in a feed store.

Is it possible that they could be a mixed breed? I know they were purchased out of a bin at a feed store, but they were apparently mislabeled in the first place. I don't know how the big hatcheries work - is there a chance a rooster "jumped the fence"?

But that isn't something you are likely to find in a feed store. 

No, they definitely aren't something feed stores typically carry but a feed store near my old place had an agreement with the hatchery they bought from to take anything "fancy" that the hatchery had surplus of that week. Could be a situation like that. I can't think of any other white birds that lay that dark of an egg that are pure bred.

wish I had an answer. I have a pair of Orpingtons who are approximately 6 months old. the hen has never played an egg. Any ideas why?
They have coop with 8 laying boxes that is roomy and well protected. During the day they are out in the field only to come inside for water and a bite to eat. I've put a couple of golf balls in each of the nests ???????

wish I had an answer. I have a pair of Orpingtons who are approximately 6 months old. the hen has never played an egg. Any ideas why?
They have coop with 8 laying boxes that is roomy and well protected. During the day they are out in the field only to come inside for water and a bite to eat. I've put a couple of golf balls in each of the nests ???????
Orpingtons can take longer than other breeds to start laying. 6 months is still pretty young to be expecting eggs.

Oh, thanks for that information. they are such beautiful birds I can enjoy them for looks,but I'm excited that they may eventually lay an egg I'll be patient

Guess what? Hen payed her first egg today. What awomderful surprise
I saw a suggestion of putting golf balls intot the nest which I did last night. I guess it workes

Back
Top Bottom