pullets or cockerels?

Jill S

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2015
Kentucky
I bought 9 straight run Easter Egger's from a breeder. They are now 6 weeks old. I think I have at least 4 cockerels. First time buying 'straight run' chicks. Can you confirm. I will get better pics.

Is the obvious one the one with the biggest comb? The tallest one on right in bottom pic? I was just reading a thread about telling EE's apart from feather coloring/patterns.
Yes. Any chick with a bright pink comb by 10 weeks old is male. Pullets do not start to pink up in the comb until they are close to laying age.

Last edited:
Is the obvious one the one with the biggest comb? The tallest one on right in bottom pic? I was just reading a thread about telling EE's apart from feather coloring/patterns.

Last edited:

Yup! That's the one!!
263a.png

In the 2nd to last pic, The black/brown one standing in front of the roo, is also a roo, I think, it has a comb already as well, but compared to the obvious boy, it's comb is paler. So maybe just maybe it turns out to be a hen. (Also one of my fave's)

Last edited:
Here is a pic up close of each of the 9 chicks.

I held first 3 and tried to get comb & coloring. Hubby held the rest & thought I wanted just comb apparently.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom