My Pekin duck laid a GIANT egg and now, three days later, she's acting sick! Help!

I recommend(and this might not be helpful) washing out the feet with hydrogen peroxide
Here are some people more knowledgeable about ducks and wounds than me
@Jenbirdee
@WVduckchick
@
peroxide is hard on healthy skin it’s okay to use once but after that it shouldn’t be used.

I know it can be so hard to figure out. If it’s an egg soft or hard hopefully she’ll have had enough of the cal glu to help. Just recently my Buff was off by herself most of the day I was worried about her finally at time to go to bed she wasn’t with the rest I went looking and found her by a large clump of daylillies where she had laid a soft shell I went ahead and gave her a ml before I put her in the coop. They must be hard to lay. Hopefully if egg she’ll have laid and be back to herself in the morning. Any chance she may have gotten into something toxic like a plant, stagnant water, a bug that might not have been good to eat?
Actually, she (and the other ducks) were in their pen with three separate water containers AND their pool, and by 3 pm when I noticed that no one was drinking or in the pool, I went and touched the water and it was TOO HOT! Even in the kiddie pool! It had been in the 90s for a few hours and I guess the glare (it's...glare-y here on the coast of NE Florida) heated the water up too hot! And I realized that if this happened yesterday, then it's possible that this "hot water by the afternoon" scenario has been happening the last 4 or 5 days when our temps got really high. This is horrible, I know! I don't know why I didn't think to check their water! So it looks like I'm either going to need to put up some kind of sail/tarp shade over part of the duck pen and put their water and pool under it, or just make sure to change the water in the pool AND the drinking basins 2 or 3 times per day! Gosh darn Florida is so hot sometimes.

Actually, she (and the other ducks) were in their pen with three separate water containers AND their pool, and by 3 pm when I noticed that no one was drinking or in the pool, I went and touched the water and it was TOO HOT! Even in the kiddie pool! It had been in the 90s for a few hours and I guess the glare (it's...glare-y here on the coast of NE Florida) heated the water up too hot! And I realized that if this happened yesterday, then it's possible that this "hot water by the afternoon" scenario has been happening the last 4 or 5 days when our temps got really high. This is horrible, I know! I don't know why I didn't think to check their water! So it looks like I'm either going to need to put up some kind of sail/tarp shade over part of the duck pen and put their water and pool under it, or just make sure to change the water in the pool AND the drinking basins 2 or 3 times per day! Gosh darn Florida is so hot sometimes.
Oh I know about the heat Florida native here. I bet a tarp or sail cloth will help a lot. Ice cubes in the drinking basin can help cool the water too.

Mae laid an egg this morning, but she's still not acting normal. She's laying down a lot. Ate a few bites of food but not a full meal. Just kind of hanging out near the water but not super interested in it. When she was preening her chest, she was rocking back on her feet, like she was too heavy to hold herself upright. Could I be dealing with a niacin deficiency? I'm going to start giving her 1 ml of liquid B complex over peas every day. I'm also going to start putting the nutritional yeast in their food every day again. I will keep this thread updated in case it's helpful to anyone in the future.

I am in Ohio and use black big Fortex bowls and containers for my Ducks to bathe and drink out of. I found some Camouflage Netting that I put over their water this summer and it has helped tremendously to keep the sun out and give them cool water. It shades yet lets the rain still go though. My sails I had kept the rain out and got full of water that I had previously. I love this netting and you can get it on
Amazon. I took zip ties and made mine the right size by cutting the length and zipping it together to get the width I needed. I zip tied it to my overhead netting but you could put it on poles of any type as it is not very heavy but very effective yet lightweight.

How is Mae today?
Mae is all better! At least, she sure seems to be! The day she laid her egg (after I gave her the Calcium Gluconate the night before), she was still pretty down in the morning, but as the day went on, she was acting more like her usual self--foraging, swimming, preening, keeping up with the others. Then yesterday, completely fine all day. Today, too. And she's laid an egg each morning since. I guess she was eggbound! How does that happen? Is there a way to prevent it?

Back
Top Bottom