Pullets sick with yellow discharge coming out of nose

This is a very difficult situation. Chickens don't get colds like humans do exactly. They end up being carriers of the disease. You can keep them and maintain a closed flock and not sell them to anyone and that saves you from culling, but you will have to deal with them having a re-lapsing chronic illness that they will get ill from periodically and it will drop egg production. You may end up spending a great deal of effort treating them with antibiotics during these times to help them through the illness. If you add any new birds, including new chicks, those birds will also get infected and get sick.

I think that for both of you your best option may be to cull. You are both dealing with a small number of birds to cull and you can get a fresh start with a healthy flock. Dealing with a chronic issue and not being able to get more birds will get really old. I would also suggest reading up on biosecurity. I would stay far, far away from birds sold on Craigs' List, Auctions, Shows, and even the guy down the street. Your absolute safest bet is buying day old chicks only from VERY reputable NPIP breeders and from good well known hatcheries (also NPIP). The other safe option is to hatch your own chicks. I know that some people sell sick birds knowing they are sick but I also think lots of folks just don't realize that the birds that had been sick and recovered are still spreading the disease. They just don't know better. I personally will never buy another adult bird after we bought birds at a poultry swap and brought ILT home to our flock. We chose to vaccinate our new young birds and the sick birds. Our origional birds will always have it and will never be sold to anyone. The new birds will be immune. We were able to do this because we had a diagnosis by necropsy from the Virginia state veterinarian. Vaccinating is a gamble and a bit of an experiment because although we are very careful, we may have brought the illness to our other birds before they got vaccinated. You can look at my old posts or ask me if you want to know more about this.

Anyway, hope I don't sound preachy, just trying to pass lots of information quickly. I had to learn about it the hard way. We lost some really great chickens. I wish you the best and if I can help with anything else let me know.
smile.png

Thank you so much, we have had them separate from the other 50 chickens. Hopefully it did not spread, can it spread through the infected birds feces, or just by being close to another bird?

Quote:
I have had many farmers dispute this claim, and some were very educated. So I am torn on believing they will be carriers for life. I just recently culled a hen that had coryza, well the dead animal smelling breath, no culture was done, and I regret it alot. I treated mine herbally with help from an experienced member on here, and mine are almost 100% better inside of three weeks. I would not have culled mine if I had to do it again. You will have to decide what's best for you and your flock. I have heard conflicting stories on them always being carriers after it.

Good luck.

Carolyn

I am sorry that you are going through this. I have read a lot of post on here and chickens do not get colds. They end up with viruses which leads them to be carriers I would not want that in my flock. It would be so hard to contain any time you wear your clothes around your chicken and wear those same clothes to someone else flock you could infect their flock. Any stress could bring this illness out again. I am not sure I would want to deal with this. This is why quarantine and good bio-security is so important. Here is a great post on adding new chickens to the flock.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock
Here is a great link on flock management.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129278

Quote:
I have had many farmers dispute this claim, and some were very educated. So I am torn on believing they will be carriers for life. I just recently culled a hen that had coryza, well the dead animal smelling breath, no culture was done, and I regret it alot. I treated mine herbally with help from an experienced member on here, and mine are almost 100% better inside of three weeks. I would not have culled mine if I had to do it again. You will have to decide what's best for you and your flock. I have heard conflicting stories on them always being carriers after it.

Good luck.

Carolyn

Honeydoll,
I make this claim based on pure animal science gathered by a great deal of personal research including, speaking with the Virginia State Veterinarian, folks here on BYC, and reading veterinarian journals regarding poultry diseases. I can just about guarantee that as soon as your birds are stressed, you will see the disease again. Herbal remedies might help a bird to recover, but it will not eradicate the disease. You will see it again. Infectious Laryngotracheitis is one disease that kills and it is caused by a Herpes virus that is specific to chickens, and just like in humans that virus is ALWAYS there and waiting for a time to show itself when the immune system is compromised. Coryza is a different organism, but also produces a carrier state in chickens. I hope you don't sell birds to others because you would be spreading and infecting someone's flock.

Quote:
Some of the diseases spread very easily. ILT is a virus and a virus is so small it can be in your hair, in your nostrils, or even on a dust particle riding in the wind. Some of the other respiratory diseases are spread more by the coughing and sneezing and sharing food and water sources. A very common way to spread it is from one pen to the other on your clothes, boots, and such. It's even possible to drive to another farm and bring it on your tires. Mycoplasma Gallisepticum can travel on clothes and such, but can even be spread by wild birds too. (at least it doesn't tend to kill). We have managed to keep our ILT flock outside while brooding young birds in our basement until they were old enough to vaccinate. We never go take care of those downstairs without a shower. DH and I usually split the chores to be more careful.

It is a very personal decision on figuring what is best for you. Culling is the only foolproof method, probably followed by vaccinating if possible. You can also decide to keep a closed flock and accept that they may get sick from time to time. Just don't sell birds or you may infect someone's flock. It's not an easy decision and I wish you luck with it. Just arm yourself with hard scientific knowledge, read all you can, and then just do your best. Good luck.
smile.png

Today we took them to the vet, and humanely euthanized them. We did what we thought was right, and I cried a hole lot. At least now they are in chicken heaven and feel no pain. Rest in peace Ariel, Mayabella, Olivia, and Zeus. I will forever miss you and love you!

i also have the same problem with my chickens we have given them the tylan injections and thats not really helping.so we got terramycin,duramycin but not sure on how to mix it can you help

so sorry you had to do this. It's a rotten thing all the way around. At least try to be comforted by the fact that you are protecting the rest of your flock from a truly awful illness and when they die it is really horrible. Hugs to you.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom