Pullets sleeping in nest box, not on roosts.

Mr Potatoes

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2016
Hello!
I have five 5-month old Faverolles who are nearing the egg-laying stage. However, they insist on sleeping in one of the nest boxes. All five of them. I've tried everything I can, and I've resorted to stuffing the box with a burlap bag. Hopefully that will work. I've also noticed that whenever they don't sleep in the boxes, they sleep on the floor of the coop. I have a perfectly good roost that they never seem to use! Any suggestions?

With hand-raised chicks, and no adults to copy, they may not understand the idea of roosts. If you put them on the roosts each night, they should get the hang of it.

I do agree with the post above re: making your roosts higher than your nest boxes, ensuring that there is at least 1ft per bird roost space and closing off your nesting boxes during the night.

Best wishes
CT

It could be the roost is not wide enough? I use 2x4s flat side up and about 3 feet off the floor at the highest roosting spot. I also have a home made stump roost in the coop. It is just two tree stumps with a 2 foot piece of 2x4 nailed to it...its only about 2 feet off the ground...Some of my Hens sleep on that at night...My one Danish Brown sleeps in a nest box at night...I just keep it clean every morning...She will get the hang of it soon enough...I have large breeds and it also gets really cold here in the winter..2x4s flat side up are great for them to lay on and keep their feet warm..We have snow here right now and after being out free ranging they all roost in the coop to warm up their toes...

Cheers!

Hello!
I have five 5-month old Faverolles who are nearing the egg-laying stage. However, they insist on sleeping in one of the nest boxes. All five of them. I've tried everything I can, and I've resorted to stuffing the box with a burlap bag. Hopefully that will work. I've also noticed that whenever they don't sleep in the boxes, they sleep on the floor of the coop. I have a perfectly good roost that they never seem to use! Any suggestions?
Welcome to BYC!!

Pics of your nests, roosts, and inside of coop would help here.

You need to have a secure tight nest cover, or they will find a way in.

The roost, behind the green waterer. The lowest branch is about 5 inches off the ground, and the highest being about a foot.

Back
Top Bottom