Pumpkin seeds for worming?

Quote:
You might not know that it would be a good idea to search the internet for a study if no one suggested there have been no studies. You might be inclined, for example, to believe that all you need to do for worms is give your chickens DE as many on BYC have suggested. Luckily these suggestions were questioned and shot down. We don't have to choose between the advice of an experienced farmer or science - we can learn from all sides. That is the great thing about an online forum that doesn't censor opinions if you play by the rules. That is the great thing about hearing a variety of opinions. Most of the advice I see on BYC seems to be solid, but not all - how about the following advice I've seen on BYC:

If your dog kills a chicken, tie the dead chicken to its neck.
If your dog kills a chicken, pick the dog up and throw it in a pond.
The guy who thinks a good chicken coop is a pallet supported on a 10' pool with no roof or other protection.
DE is a treatment for worms.

Hopefully people will keep questioning, then we can all make up our own minds after reading various opinions.

Last edited:
Quote:
You might not know that it would be a good idea to search the internet for a study if no one suggested there have been no studies. You might be inclined, for example, to believe that all you need to do for worms is give your chickens DE as many on BYC have suggested. Luckily these suggestions were questioned and shot down. We don't have to choose between the advice of an experienced farmer or science - we can learn from all sides. That is the great thing about an online forum that doesn't censor opinions if you play by the rules. That is the great thing about hearing a variety of opinions. Most of the advice I see on BYC seems to be solid, but not all - how about the following advice I've seen on BYC:

If your dog kills a chicken, tie the dead chicken to its neck.
If your dog kills a chicken, pick the dog up and throw it in a pond.
The guy who thinks a good chicken coop is a pallet supported on a 10' pool with no roof or other protection.
DE is a treatment for worms.

Hopefully people will keep questioning, then we can all make up our own minds after reading various opinions.

This is by far the silliest comment. The end part anyway. For one thing about your comments here "You might be inclined, for example, to believe that all you need to do for worms is give your chickens DE as many on BYC have suggested. Luckily these suggestions were questioned and shot down." read any thread on worming here and you will see some that swear by DE and some swear by chemical stuff, so you get both sides and not one of them provided a study to back up their opinions and not one side said the other was wrong, they just gave their process for dealing with it. I weigh it by experience, I happen to try DE and if the issue becomes worse I then use chemicals. As for the last few comments you made about advice here on BYC. First I like to think that we have common sense second, would you like me to research ALL the scientific studies that have been done over the years? I can PROMISE you that there have been some really stupid recomendations that came from them as well. Or how many studies have been proven incorrect or the studies change recomendations. Like butter versus margirine or eggs are bad for you but now they are not, oh wait nope bad for you again....... My point is that I will take the tride and true advice from a seasoned experienced raiser of chickens any day over a study. And you would know to look up worms on the internet if your chickens are pooping out worms. I never raised a chicken in my life before a year and half ago and yet I have healthy chickens now, how did that happen? This website? NO, I had to research on the internet to find this website and that happened after the fact. Also, the original issue I had here was of the person asking for a study and another person saying that it's okay to ask for the study, if that is the case, anyone on here that provides an opinion or advice should have to show mulitple studies from multiple sources in order to meet the expectations of posters such as yourself. Can you show me the studies that prove that DE does not work and that various chemical dewormers do?

Well I hope that wasn't meant to be as spiteful as it sounds, knowing that you just can't tell sometimes from emails, etc. Really - I'm not evil, I'm just a nice person who thinks questioning things and thinking independently is a good thing. I think you are completely misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not into the negativity and spitefulness and this is my last post in my thread as I'm sure it's a bit tiring for others who want to read about pumpkin seeds. I'm just responding to the comment that was posted that suggested we shouldn't question any posts. There are many newbies here and all I was saying is that if no one questioned advice here, THEY (the newbies, not YOU) might be inclined to believe DE is a good wormer, for example, and that would be a shame. Since you seem fond of questioning and doubting scientific studies in particular, it seems that we might agree that questioning things is wise. Science doesn't necessarily mean chemicals and FDA. It can just mean doing a controlled experiment to see if a remedy is effective - sounds like a great thing to me.

I don't know how I come off spiteful for responding to your post. You are the one that took the time to pull certain advice that you find crazy from other byc posts. My original post here was a backing of support to the person who has issues with being questioned all the time. I simply agreed with that person that this is a forum of experience based opinions and not a forum of science backed studies. My original post was not hostile or spiteful in any way. Then you responded with saying that DE is not an effective wormer and that although mostly solid info comes from byc you still took the time to be spiteful to my post and the person I was backing by looking up past crazy comments made by some on here. You still continue even in your last post that it's a shame that some on here believe that DE is an effective wormer and I ask you, what studies do you have that support that? From your last post, I take from that, that people that use DE as a wormer are wrong and misguided. Correct me if I'm wrong here, are there not still many many people on here that would say DE is in fact an effective wormer and if so should we not listen to them?

I love when people say in advance that this is their last post on the thread. Why say it? Does that make you the bigger person in some way? I was not looking for confrontation when I made my original post, I was just agreeing with Sherylreno and showing my support for thier comment after you decided to take on her post and then you decided to take on my post. I feel that you are the one being spiteful here not me and not sherylreno.

As for protecting the newbies, if they were to ask about wormers on byc, they would get answers of use DE and use other methods. In other words they would get multiple ways people use to deworm their chickens, that IS a good thing. What you are saying is that they should question the things you don't agree with and ask for studies. What I'm saying is that they have to use their own judgement and weigh all the posts and the people that made the post. If a new person says use DE and a seasoned person says no it does not work, they need to decide for themselves, not say "show me the studies or what proof do you have".

Like I said, this is a forum where people from all areas and all levels of experience can ask ADVICE and share experiences and share what their methods are, that's it. It's not a forum of perfect information and garunteed results or sceintific facts. It is simply, I've been doing this for 20 years and I use DE and I have never had a worm problem (that was just a made up statement for example). Or I have been doing this for 15 years and DE didn't work on my girls.

Well, shucks. I guess I'll have to read the entire thread just to find out if pumpkin seeds kill worms or not. I hope so since I share mine with the chickens.
big_smile.png

Ok Valbazen is better than Ivermectin. So what do you all do as far as withdrawl time. I just treated mine with Wazine on Tuesday. If I had seen this post before then I would have skipped that step, but since I already did, I need to follow up with the stronger. I can get Valbazen, Ivermectin or Eprinex. So you think Valbazen is the way to go? How long on egg withdrawl and do I treat with Valbazen a second time? Or should the one time be enough?

Unless you have just a couple of birds, or raised your own pumpkins, the sheer cost of purchased pumpkin seeds in the amount needed to make a difference, would be cost prohibitive. At our co-op, the raw pumpkins seeds in bulk are about ten bucks a pound.

Last edited:
lorain's fids:oops:[/quote :

I guess all this is like when people argue with what right to use Alternative Medicine Practices VS Coventional Medicine Practices.
Me personally, I go for the natural/alternative approach with me and all my animals--if it doesn't work-THEN I will use the coventional products that are full of chemicals.
So for worming I will use raw pumpkins seeds, etc....and if it doesn't work for them, and I do see worms, then I'll use the stuff that was made from chemicals.

Lorraine, that's a sound philosophy and exactly how I handled it too. We did the pumpkin seeds for worming but still needed ivomec pour on for lice.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Exactly why I no longer can purchase pumpkin seeds for the chickens, just crazy expensive. It's not whether pumpkin seeds do the trick because I posted studies about it in this thread. Best way to go is just to cut to the chase, worm them if you think they need it with a proper wormer, one that you know will kill the worms and be done with it. With every wormer, you are supposed to use it a second time a couple weeks later to get any worms that hatched from eggs present the first time, but I admit, I often skip that step.

A healthy chicken can carry a tiny worm load with no ill effects to their health and I suspect most chickens probably do, especially ones who are penned up 24/7. Some worm periodically, just in case, and some folks wait till they see evidence that the flock may need worming, i.e, thin birds with dull feathers, actual worms or worm segments in the poop, etc. That's entirely up to the individual chicken keeper's discretion. Can't tell you what to do-you have to decide which way you want to go.

Well sort of came to this thread from the end not the beginning and after one page I'm too exhausted to keep looking for where its about pumpkin seeds lol

What I did glean though was that it sure wont hurt them if nothing else to give them our raw pumpkin seeds left over from preparing dinner. Thanks for the tip!

Back
Top Bottom