Puncture wounds to head

AmyBella

Songster
13 Years
May 26, 2009
Western MA
Having a bad night, here. We've had a marauding raccoon coming around for the last week. My coop is pretty tight, but my DH forgot to close the door tonight and now my poor Curly girl is in rough shape. I've cleaned her wounds with h2o2 and packed them with neosporin. Gave her Rescue Remedy. She was alert and standing up for the first hour or so after the attack, but for the last two hours she's been having seizures, panting, and her head is flopping around. I don't want to let go of her for fear she'll injure herself when she seizes. I don't know that there is much more that I can do but wait and see what tomorrow brings. She's such a wonderful bird- my heart is breaking. I am praying that she can pull through.

I'm sorry this happened to you. Frankly, it doesn't sound too good for her, with the seizures which most likely indicate a head injury. You never know, though, chickens survive some serious injuries. I don't know of anything else you can do for her. Good luck.

DH feels just terrible about this and so do I. It kills me that if I had just checked the coop or asked when I got home it would not have happened!

If she starts looking a little better i'd put her on an antibiotic... penicillin, amoxicillian etc... Id does sound like shock and head injury. Keep her warm, keep her quiet and calm. You can mix some poulrty vitiams with 1/2 water and inject under skin where neck /shoulders meet to help hydrate her.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom