Purebred versus mixbreed

LilyD

Crowing
12 Years
Jan 24, 2011
Bristol, VT
My Coop
My Coop
When breeding dual purpose birds is it better to pick one breed and keep just them breeding and keeping babies for the qualities you are looking for or are mix breed birds okay too? I keep debating whether to have a mixed flock or just one breed to hatch and get my meat birds from. Any thoughts?

That all depends on what you want to do with your flock. I believe a pure breed will give you consistency in egg and meat production so that you can better manage your flock. If your not that serious about selecting and breeding certain traits in your flock, then just mix a bunch a breeds together.

Mix breeds are def. best. They have hybrid vigor (so usually better for meat/eggs) they are less inbred, and have different traits.

Quote:
I am looking to breed for meat consistency(decent breasts and dark meat) and for growth rate (picking those birds that grow faster amongst the breed but still at a normal rate nothing that causes bone or organ problems). I also would like a bird that produces eggs so that I have eggs to hatch and eat through the year. I was thinking that pure bred was the way to go but I always like to have someone with more experience confirm that I am thinking in the right direction. I am looking at Delawares, Brahmas or Orpingtons for the breed that I get into any thoughts on which of those breeds have worked better for people?

I do have a coop that holds egg birds right now but I would be setting up a second coop area for those birds that are involved in my meat bird project so that they can be separate from the main coop.

Also any thoughts on other breeds would be welcome as well.

I like mixing Delawares with New Hampshires I have 2 pure flocks though I fist tried the cross with hatchery NH pullets excellent doers and I sell the pullets as layers they look like Dels just get bigger faster so it saves on feed.

Quote:
Isn't Hampshire and Delaware mix birds a color sexable breed as well? I was looking at the color sexable breeds and I thought that was one of the mixes that you could do so that you could tell pullets from roos at birth.

In my egg laying coop I have Gold Comets but they aren't supposed to get very big as full grown birds. They do seem to grow fast but the ones I have are very lean too.

Do you intend to ever sell chicks or birds? Purebreds are much easier to sell.

You only get hybrid vigor in the first generation cross. So unless you intend to keep two separate purebred flocks to cross, you can forget about hybrid vigor. Next generation is simply an ordinary mutt.

You can breed up your purebred flock, selecting the best birds for their size and egg laying and only hatching eggs from your top producers.

Or you can breed barnyard mutts, selecting the best birds for size and egg laying and improve that flock also.

Quote:
Isn't Hampshire and Delaware mix birds a color sexable breed as well? I was looking at the color sexable breeds and I thought that was one of the mixes that you could do so that you could tell pullets from roos at birth.

In my egg laying coop I have Gold Comets but they aren't supposed to get very big as full grown birds. They do seem to grow fast but the ones I have are very lean too.

When I have a grown NH rooster I'm doing sex links so yes you can cross them both ways most people just want a good layer for their backyard. Birds from me are much nicer than hatchery stock much bigger and good layers without the problems of too early layers.....mine have laid non stop since September nice big eggs the ones I hatched have been laying nice big eggs too. I sold most of them just have a few left and I can't wait to hatch from my breeder quality NH's those girls lay beautiful eggs and are beauties compared to the hatchery ones I sold.

Quote:

When I have a grown NH rooster I'm doing sex links so yes you can cross them both ways most people just want a good layer for their backyard. Birds from me are much nicer than hatchery stock much bigger and good layers without the problems of too early layers.....mine have laid non stop since September nice big eggs the ones I hatched have been laying nice big eggs too. I sold most of them just have a few left and I can't wait to hatch from my breeder quality NH's those girls lay beautiful eggs and are beauties compared to the hatchery ones I sold.

It sounds like a good mix. I hope my hatch of Delawares does well and I will be adding them to a second coop so I can either make purebred Delawares or I can add other breeds from the second coop if I want to mix them for specific gene characteristics.

LilyD...I am raising my first batch of delawares right now.They are 2 weeks old...but I did have mixed breed birds I butchered and they seemed a bit lacking.We did the research and chose Delawares.Our second choices would have been Orpingtons or Barred Rocks.I plan on keeping my own breeding flock and hatching my own.I am going to sell pullets and keep the roos for meat.I am also going to try and keep the best of the best for breeding for size,SOP,and feathering to help enhance the quality.I know my HQ birds I just bought will be far from SQ but thought if I am careful about selecting breeders I can improve them somewhat and still have a nice meat laying flock while people who purchase chicks may get a step-up from hatchery birds. Hope it works out for you...I really like the Delawares so far...they seem very brave and not skittish
smile.png

ETA: I ordered 10 hens and 3 roos from McMurrays...they sent an extra roo...all seem at 2 weeks to be correct in sexing.I'll be keeping 1 roo with the 10 hens for now.Later i will be hatching a second bunch and switching the roos around.
I just sent you a five year plan on how to keep your own flock without having to add new breeders I got from another BYC'r.Thought it would interest you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom