Purina Organic Starter/Grower Ingredients :-/

The ingredients are required to be on the guaranteed analysis tag on the bag.
While not a required technique, they list the ingredients in order of quantity of each in the feed.
Have you read the guaranteed analysis tag?
Thank you. Unfortunately, I can't just go to the store just to read the info. I got covid really bad and am now disabled because of it. I don't understand why they would be the only ones not to list them on their site.

It would likely depend on the mill and available ingredients. Not a shady plan. Find it in store and read the tag.

I am aware most people can just go to the store wherever they feel like it Unfortunately, I can't just go to the store just to read the info. I got covid really bad and am now disabled because of it. Every time I go out I risk more issues now. We are trying to get prepared to raise our own food and such now that I can't work. I don't understand why they would be the only ones not to list them.

Go to the store, ask to see a bag and read the label. I learned recently that Purina's tags will say "Manufactured By" and/or "Manufactured For" when I purchased a bag of feed and the color/smell was way off. Ingredients change due to where manufactured (supply) but the nutritional value should be the same. It was a month of frustration but Purina/TSC explained. Now I ask or go into the warehouse to read labels prior to purchasing.
Thank you, but that doesn't say the actual ingredients. Unfortunately, I can't just go to the store just to read the info. I got covid really bad and am now disabled because of it. Every time I go out I risk more issues now. We are trying to get prepared to raise our own food and such now that I can't work. I don't understand why they worked be the only ones not to list them.
Randomly changing the ingredients wherever would be crazy. I chose a feed specifically because of it's ingredients. And then they just up and change them over and over based on where they feel like having it made that lot? That would be crazy. I guess I'll have to pick a different company if that's true. Thank you.

Thank you, but that doesn't say the actual ingredients. It's literally the only company I looked at that didn't list the real ingredients. Unfortunately, I can't just go to the store just to read the info. I got covid really bad and am now disabled because of it. Every time I go out I risk more issues now. We are trying to get prepared to raise our own food and such now that I can't work. I don't understand why they worked be the only ones not to list them.

This comes up from time to time, Purina is NOT the only one to do so, Purina is just the most common one to do so - due to their size. Purina makes use of its own facilities, and those it rents from others to produce its feeds, mixing (to the extent practical) locally sourced grains. As consequence, the contents of a bag of Purina [Feed] can vary across the nation enough that a single national label can't exist, due to mandated disclosures and the possibility that they might be inaccurate regionally - which would trigger a recall. This is because Purina mixes to a particular nutritional profile, not to a particular recipe of ingredients and quantitites. As do most major commercial suppliers.

If you have a relationship with your feed store, call and ask someone to snap a cell phone picture of the nutrition label with that bag's ingredients disclosure for you.

I chose a feed specifically because of it's ingredients
The nutritional profile is a better determining factor. Is there a particular ingredient you're trying to include/exclude?

U_Stormcrow's suggestion of asking for a pic to be sent is probably your best option right now. I would not be comfortable giving someone in the general population access to my personal number, but others may not have that same reservation or they may have a company cell phone.

Echoing ^^^.

As someone liscened by the State to legally sell the eggs and meat my chickens produce, I can attest to this first hand. Even buying from the local mill, non-organic, I can't get feed cheap enough to do better than break even during the good months in the year I started. Feed costs are WAY up. Egg prices at the grocery have not grown near so much.

Rough estimates? A Layer will eat 20 pounds in its first 20 weeks, then about 2#/wk thereafter. Most will produce nothing for their first 20 weeks, till start of lay - many birdsd won't start till later.

So your first full year of owning a layer bird, you can expect it to eat about 80# of feed. Assuming it drops a useful egg 5 days of 7, beginning week 20, you are looking at 160 eggs in that same period - about 13 dozen.

At $3/doz, that's almost $40. 80# of gmo name brand feed from the farm store is likely somewhere between $32 and $45 right now. So you have the *potential* of a slight profit. Until you consider the cost of buying the bird in the first place, the expense of their facilities, your labor time, the risk of loss to predator, disease, injury, power, water, licensing, advertising, packaging, cleaning materials, and costs of refrigeration...

What do those cost? Even with feed costs down at $0.28/lb ($14/50#) and hatching my own birds, I only break even a few months out of the year. I eat my excess males, and invoice myself $1.50/lb (bone in) for them.

My flock is my entertainment budget for the year.

Last edited:
Echoing ^^^.

As someone liscened by the State to legally sell the eggs and meat my chickens produce, I can attest to this first hand. Even buying from the local mill, non-organic, I can't get feed cheap enough to do better than break even during the good months in the year I started. Feed costs are WAY up. Egg prices at the grocery have not grown near so much.

Rough estimates? A Layer will eat 20 pounds in its first 20 weeks, then about 2#/wk thereafter. Most will produce nothing for their first 20 weeks, till start of lay - many birdsd won't start till later.

So your first full year of owning a layer bird, you can expect it to eat about 80# of feed. Assuming it drops a useful egg 5 days of 7, beginning week 20, you are looking at 160 eggs in that same period - about 13 dozen.

At $3/doz, that's almost $40. 80# of gmo name brand feed from the farm store is likely somewhere between $32 and $45 right now. So you have the *potential* of a slight profit. Until you consider the cost of buying the bird in the first place, the expense of their facilities, your labor time, the risk of loss to predator, disease, injury, power, water, licensing, advertising, packaging, cleaning materials, and costs of refrigeration...

What do those cost? Even with feed costs down at $0.28/lb ($14/50#) and hatching my own birds, I only break even a few months out of the year. I eat my excess males, and invoice myself $1.50/lb (bone in) for them.

My flock is my entertainment budget for the year.
Thanks for the math. Close as I can get is $.32-$.34/pound. 50# every 10-14 days. Probably 1k on housing materials (I did not keep records, it could've been less or more).

Back
Top Bottom