Purina Organic Starter/Grower Ingredients :-/

I'm curious, since you are in Hawaii, what is your supply chain like? Mainly, are your stores getting fresh feed? There have been long delays here.
Supply probably worst that in the Mainland ... Shipping & weather is a factor and the distance. You're able to drive to find feed, we can't. We are dependent on 2 feed stores on this section on the island, they depend on what their Mainland chain sends them & weather conditions for the barges to get here. We ALL suffer & Covid hasn't helped any. The Big Island/Hawaii is less commercialized than Oahu & Maui, hence less available "shopping". They have more feeds stores and supplies but for us/BI to bring from them, is another shipping cost ... Gets pricy.

So what we do is figure a way to stock and keep each other informed as to when feed's getting low at the feed stores; TSC/Dels and Miranda's (our local feed store). We had a few more bu they all shut down. We do alot of :fl:fl:fl certain time of the year when shipping really becomes an issue.

Supply probably worst that in the Mainland ... Shipping & weather is a factor and the distance. You're able to drive to find feed, we can't. We are dependent on 2 feed stores on this section on the island, they depend on what their Mainland chain sends them & weather conditions for the barges to get here. We ALL suffer & Covid hasn't helped any. The Big Island/Hawaii is less commercialized than Oahu & Maui, hence less available "shopping". They have more feeds stores and supplies but for us/BI to bring from them, is another shipping cost ... Gets pricy.

So what we do is figure a way to stock and keep each other informed as to when feed's getting low at the feed stores; TSC/Dels and Miranda's (our local feed store). We had a few more bu they all shut down. We do alot of :fl:fl:fl certain time of the year when shipping really becomes an issue.
also, "Jones Act". and to keep this from getting political, I'll let those interested google it themselves.

Thank you, but that doesn't say the actual ingredients. It's literally the only company I looked at that didn't list the real ingredients. Unfortunately, I can't just go to the store just to read the info. I got covid really bad and am now disabled because of it. Every time I go out I risk more issues now. We are trying to get prepared to raise our own food and such now that I can't work. I don't understand why they worked be the only ones not to list them.
The easiest way to explain it is that the ingredients are not always the same. What is consistent is the nutrient profile. Specific nutrient levels: amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and fats can be achieved from a combination of various ingredients. The nutrient profile is much more important for providing nutritious feed than the actual ingredients.
It doesn't help to have a desirous ingredient yet have a feed deficient in one of the nutrients livestock are known to need.
I programmed feed mills for various poultry and swine producers that have their own mills.
Unlike those individuals who have the desire to create their own feed, mills bring in grains and legumes by the trainload, vitamins and minerals by the ton. We might buy grains and legumes by the 50 # bag and micronutrients by the pound. There is no way we can compete with the economy of scale.
Now, back to the ingredients. Feed companies have a nutrient profile they need to achieve - not an ingredient list. If they had to maintain an ingredient list, there would likely be times of the year or parts of the country where they couldn't obtain the ingredients and therefor, not be able to produce any feed. This is even more true with organic feeds since organic grains and legumes are much harder to come by.
They assay all the ingredients when the trains arrive and adjust the ingredients to achieve the nutrient profile for the intended species and age to be fed. Then the final product is assayed to verify the results. From time to time, ingredients need to be adjusted. That's why the ingredients are listed on the bag's guaranteed analysis tag.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

There is always a price to living in paradise.
Friends of mine live in Santa Barbara. Likely the best climate in the continental US.
Drought, wildfires and extremely costly living are downsides.

The easiest way to explain it is that the ingredients are not always the same. What is consistent is the nutrient profile. Specific nutrient levels: amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and fats can be achieved from a combination of various ingredients. The nutrient profile is much more important for providing nutritious feed than the actual ingredients.
It doesn't help to have a desirous ingredient yet have a feed deficient in one of the nutrients livestock are known to need.
I programmed feed mills for various poultry and swine producers that have their own mills.
Unlike those individuals who have the desire to create their own feed, mills bring in grains and legumes by the trainload, vitamins and minerals by the ton. We might buy grains and legumes by the 50 # bag and micronutrients by the pound. There is no way we can compete with the economy of scale.
Now, back to the ingredients. Feed companies have a nutrient profile they need to achieve - not an ingredient list. If they had to maintain an ingredient list, there would likely be times of the year or parts of the country where they couldn't obtain the ingredients and therefor, not be able to produce any feed. This is even more true with organic feeds since organic grains and legumes are much harder to come by.
They assay all the ingredients when the trains arrive and adjust the ingredients to achieve the nutrient profile for the intended species and age to be fed. Then the final product is assayed to verify the results. From time to time, ingredients need to be adjusted. That's why the ingredients are listed on the bag's guaranteed analysis tag.
I hope this helps.
It's called least cost ration, they have computer programs to figure the lowest cost of the ration with the various commodities available to meet the feed values listed on the tag. Most feed mills are mixing various types of feed with a limited number of ingredients that can change as different commodities are available. That is the reason for the wording on most feed tags being grain products. grain byproducts etc. and no individual ingredients being named.

Back
Top Bottom