Putting day old chick with broody

Momsteader

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2018
Traverse City Michigan
I'm hoping someone can help me, one of my chickens escaped today while I was in the shower and my dog killed her. It was one of my son's favorites and now he wants to get a new chicken. I do have a hen that has gone broody, but I'm concerned about putting a day old in with her with the other older chickens I don't know if I need to be worried that they will try to hurt the baby or not. Does anybody have any advice for me, separating them isn't really much of an option at this point in time. My broody is a golden laced Wyandotte

Last edited:
I'm hoping someone can help me, one of my chickens escaped today while I was in the shower and my dog killed her. It was one of my son's favorites and now he wants to get a new chicken. I do have a hen that has gone broody, but I'm concerned about putting a day old in with her with the other older chickens I don't know if I need to be worried that they will try to hurt the baby or not. Does anybody have any advice for me, separating them isn't really much of an option at this point in time
If separating them isnt an option then I wouldn't do it. How long has she been broody? Best thing to do is slip the chicks under her, hopefully she accepts them, and put them in a crate or seperate space if one of the other hens starts killing the chicks.

You want her to have been broody at least for a week but preferably longer. I strongly advise against one chick unless you are regulated by how many you're allowed to have. Personally, I highly recommend 2 chicks. In my experience, mama hen does a good job telling the flock to leave her babies alone, but all moms and all flocks are different! There is always that risk! Personally, I'd take the risk, but know there is always a chance something bad can happen. Get the youngest chicks you can possibly get, and sneak them under her. Monitor her very carefully for 30 minutes to an hour to ensure she accepts the chicks.

I am so sorry for your loss. That is very traumatic.

You want her to have been broody at least for a week but preferably longer. I strongly advise against one chick unless you are regulated by how many you're allowed to have. Personally, I highly recommend 2 chicks. In my experience, mama hen does a good job telling the flock to leave her babies alone, but all moms and all flocks are different! There is always that risk! Personally, I'd take the risk, but know there is always a chance something bad can happen. Get the youngest chicks you can possibly get, and sneak them under her. Monitor her very carefully for 30 minutes to an hour to ensure she accepts the chicks.

I am so sorry for your loss. That is very traumatic.
She's been Broody for a week or two. I pretty much have to force her out of the box a couple times a day just so she'll go eat some food and get some water I just gently pick her up and bring her out and around into the pen. Yeah my son is 6, hes pretty upset, it's not the first time we've had a dead chicken but first time for this. Its a rescue dog we've had since sept. We are technically regulated to how many we can have but none of my neighbors care the only real problem we have is everybody wants to be on one Roost and if there is more than six then they can't all be on one Roost the coops long enough for that. There are 2 though.

She's been Broody for a week or two. I pretty much have to force her out of the box a couple times a day just so she'll go eat some food and get some water I just gently pick her up and bring her out and around into the pen. Yeah my son is 6, hes pretty upset, it's not the first time we've had a dead chicken but first time for this. Its a rescue dog we've had since sept. We are technically regulated to how many we can have but none of my neighbors care the only real problem we have is everybody wants to be on one Roost and if there is more than six then they can't all be on one Roost the coops long enough for that. There are 2 though.
Oh yeah, they always want the highest roost because of the pecking order, but they will make due. If your coop is big enough for two extra, I'd go for two. Chicks do better with other chicks, but if something happens to one, then you'll still have one more left.

Back
Top Bottom