Putting ducklings outside

Picklepuss

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Connecticut
I'm not sure when they should go out. Last year we were given duckllings but they weren't "new" like the ones we have now. I'm not sure when I can safely put them out in their house here in the North East (SE CT really). With all of the water we've had lately we're having electril problems in the garage and I don't dare to put a heat lamp in their house because it may just go off in the night and I wouldn't even know it.

It would depend on how old they are and how far along they are with feathering.
Once ducklings are 6-8 weeks old and well feathered they can withstand temperatures of 50f and lower.
And btw, our 13 week olds are loving this rain we've been getting on our side of Ct.

Perhaps this is some kind of record - three from CT in a row!

Anyway, my runners arrived a bit earlier than expected, so they are in the house, in a brooder in the guest room (hoo boy, some cleaning to do when they are grown up and out of the house!)

This week I expect we will start building their Duck Inn, but because of nighttime temperatures and my decision not to mess with electricity for their outdoor house, I am going to make sure they are fully developed (at least 3 or 4 more weeks) and keep an eye on the nighttime temperature forecasts. By fall, I am not going to be nearly as cautious. But even when they appear grown up, they are going to continue to develop internally, and that takes energy, and I want them to have as much support in their growing up time (which I feel to be about four or five months) as I can provide them.

I really hope this rain stops. We have been getting water in the basement which has tripped the fuses repeatedly to the garage. Until a friend comes over to figure out the issue we have the ducks in the playroom. I wish "Spring" would get here already. At this minute our stream has overflowed into the pond and we have ducks swimming (mallards) where ducks should not be swimming at all.

hugs.gif
clap.gif

For taking care of your ducklings in spite of the pain in the neck flooding.

I understand completely.
Hubbys downstairs in the basement playing with the sump pump to get the water out better.
This wkend is supposed to be nice though....

Now personally, I have wanted Indian Runners for yeras. So, I don't mind the hassle of their mess too too much. My husband on the other hand is less than impressed with their new domain. He doesn't understand that ducklings enjoy American Girl doll furniture and playkitchens as much as his little girls. He would rather the poor things be in the garage, all alone for most of the day and completely uncoddled.

Quote:
gig.gif
That is so funny because we have our 4 runner ducks in a brooder, in our guest room, and cleaning is a must!
gig.gif
When I read this post I just looked at my hubby and then at the room, and thought" Wow what are the odds?" lol

Back
Top Bottom