Putting fat chickens on a diet

Very helpful conversation, thanks everyone.

I bag and collect my dry leaves in the fall and start out with a fairly large stash each fall (several dozen bags). Then I periodically dump a new bag in the run, for the chickens to enjoy. It keeps them busy for a while. I do this year round. In the summer I do the same with lawn clippings and other yard waste.

The way I use scratch is actually to encourage the hens to move more, and simulate foraging behavior. I don't use much - just one handful - but I scatter it all over the run, so they have to go and look for it. My run has a lot of logs and things, and a shrub, so the chickens have to go under, over and around things. They will turn the bedding upside down inch by inch looking for every lost grain of scratch, and will do this all afternoon, just in case they missed some :lol: I'm not sure if the calories from the scratch cancel out the exercise of foraging for it, but that's the most reliable way to get them to move. I have built a jungle gym for them, but they are too lazy to use it... Sometimes I will tie a bunch of greens or hang a treat cage with lettuce in it somewhere on a higher branch, so they have to go up there to eat it. In the summer I cut branches from my yard and tie them up to the jungle gym, for the chickens to climb up and forage for greenery.

The ball of fat - oh definitely, that's where it goes! I need to fondle their butts and see if I can feel it from the outside. Once I cut a chicken up it's very obvious, but it can be hard to feel from the outside. If the fat only collected there, it probably wouldn't be such a big problem, but they also store fat on the liver and that's what scares me, because it can be fatal, and you can't feel for that from the outside.

The vet... I am not happy with this vet for many reasons (not just chicken-related, with my cat too). She was so set on this number, and that weight was the only way to truly judge if a chicken is fat. When, as you have all pointed out, weight is so relative and depends on so many things. She can say that it's just hard to tell if a chicken is fat, and offer other methods - like feeling for the fat deposit on the butt (lower abdomen). But she said no, over 7lbs is fat... which was a red flag to me. Another thing that she said which I find odd, is how much chickens should eat per day. She said I should isolate the "fat" hen with the health problem and put her on a diet, and that I should restrict her feed to 2 cups per day. That seemed way too much to me, so I asked her to clarify - cups, as in the measuring unit of cup? And she said yes. When I went home I weighed the crumble. Every recommendation I find online says something along the lines of 4 oz per chicken per day, or at most 4-6 oz. Well 2 cups weighs 10 oz!!! So to put her "on a diet", I need to feed this hen twice the usually recommended amount? I'm having a hard time trusting anything this vet has to say. So I'm back to square one as to whether my chickens are actually fat or not. I'm thinking of contacting their breeder and asking what his hens of this breed normally weigh when full grown...

Last edited:
She said I should isolate the "fat" hen with the health problem and put her on a diet, and that I should restrict her feed to 2 cups per day. That seemed way too much to me, so I asked her to clarify - cups, as in the measuring unit of cup? And she said yes. When I went home I weighed the crumble. Every recommendation I find online says something along the lines of 4 oz per chicken per day, or at most 4-6 oz. Well 2 cups weighs 10 oz!!! So to put her "on a diet", I need to feed this hen twice the usually recommended amount?

It sounds like she is thinking of dog food, honestly.

Ok here's a test... in the FB English Orpington group, the breeders say 3ft is the standard roost height for their birds. Any higher and they're too clumsy and risk hurting themselves. English Orpingtons have comparatively shorter wingspan for their body size.
So, do you have anything 3ft high in the run that she jumps up on? Or can you make one? Does she look okay doing it?
Because the first thing fat should affect is a birds ability to get off the ground...

The vet... I am not happy with this vet for many reasons (not just chicken-related, with my cat too). She was so set on this number, and that weight was the only way to truly judge if a chicken is fat. When, as you have all pointed out, weight is so relative and depends on so many things. She can say that it's just hard to tell if a chicken is fat, and offer other methods - like feeling for the fat deposit on the butt (lower abdomen). But she said no, over 7lbs is fat... which was a red flag to me. Another thing that she said which I find odd, is how much chickens should eat per day. She said I should isolate the "fat" hen with the health problem and put her on a diet, and that I should restrict her feed to 2 cups per day. That seemed way too much to me, so I asked her to clarify - cups, as in the measuring unit of cup? And she said yes. When I went home I weighed the crumble. Every recommendation I find online says something along the lines of 4 oz per chicken per day, or at most 4-6 oz. Well 2 cups weighs 10 oz!!! So to put her "on a diet", I need to feed this hen twice the usually recommended amount? I'm having a hard time trusting anything this vet has to say. So I'm back to square one as to whether my chickens are actually fat or not.
Does she even have experience with birds?
I doubt it.
Her lack of logical thinking, instead of 'knowing it all', would put me right off of her...
.....and I surely wouldn't do anything she says based on that.

I'm thinking of contacting their breeder and asking what his hens of this breed normally weigh when full grown...
Excellent idea.
Meanwhile, don't worry about it.

It's not the junk in the trunk as @Geena so eloquently puts it that's the problem.:D Apart from the does my arse look big to you honey when having those hen only grooming sessions.
It's the fat that accumulates in and around the liver and heart that's the killer.
No amount of keel groping is going to tell you anything useful about this. It doesn't take much fat in the main arteries for example to cut a few years off the life expectancy of any creature.

If one did a study comparing free ranging chickens to confined chickens and compared the amount of active time for each it becomes easier to understand why contained chickens tend to accumulate fat in the more critical areas. Confined chicken get bored and just like many of us, they eat to offset the boredom. Timed feeds can help rather than leaving feed out 24/7.

Get them out of the run and make them run.:p Even an hour a day can make a difference if you ensure they keep moving and forage. I take the allotment chickens around the allotments and I herd them so they keep moving. Most of the time the opportunity to explore the next foraging opportunity keeps them on the go.

But she said no, over 7lbs is fat... which was a red flag to me.
Lol. True.

APA standards for weight of a full grown rooster can vary a lot. There are 5 breeds that I recall, that are standard rooster weight of 10 lbs or more. Can’t remember all the 5 breeds. But, a black jersey giant is the largest at 13 lbs standard weight for a rooster. Interestingly, the frame of s BJG is quite large. So they are tall, and wide, without being obese. They take approx 18 months to reach full size.

Now, a lean (not muscular) high production layer of over 7 lbs might be considered obese, which might be where her knowledge stops.

Hope you can find a better vet!

Maybe try using plain food to get them to scratch around? Like take out the feeders and maybe in the morning they get “pretend it is scratch” food when they are likely quite hungry, and then the easy feeders show up later? 🤔

That would also make it easy on the hens at the bottom of the pecking order if the food is in multiple spots.

I did this to feed my free range hens when we had recently introduced some new pullets and there was some resource-guarding happening. Made 3 or 4 small piles so it was impossible to guard them all - and honestly, if your fat ladies spent all morning running from one to the other to “guard all the food,” thats exercise too 🤣

Back
Top Bottom