Putting lime in the chicken pen?

not so sure about the ag. lime killing ants, but the chicks should have a field day with'm!
big_smile.png

Many people on this forum have described a way to handle this issue with the Deep-Bedding Method (DBM) or Deep Litter Method. It is a way to gradually compost the manure, in place, over time and it keeps the smell away. It doesn't use lime, but you keep adding small layers of carbonaceous (?) materials and that way the chicken poop can be composting the whole time. Then you only clean out the coop periodically (2-3 times/year) but you get amazing composting bedding to use in the garden.

I may not have described it very accurately, so do a search on this forum for it.

The deep litter method is only for the coops. I need something for their big pen, which is mostly grass with some dirt areas, trees, and bushes.

I looked at my lime this morning and it's Rolico (or something like that) lawn n' garden lime. It's bright white, not gray. The bag is brown with green writing and it says to use it on your lawn and garden. (Captain obvious LOL) But it doesn't say anything about use with or around animals. I don't want to chance using the wrong thing and burning my birds' feet or worse. If you all don't think that's the right kind of lime I will be sure to ask the feed store for barn lime or agriculture lime on Tuesday when I go.

I cleaned out the duck pool today and the smell was horrific! I really need to lime the ground around it where I dumped the water and it just got all saturated with...ewwww.

That's the stuff. the grey stuff is pelleted lime and is just less dusty and easier to spread. the best thing to do would be till it in with a tiller. but it sounds like you still have grass, WOW. I'm amazed at that! but you need to get that lime worked into the soil. perhaps water it in well. but believe me tilling it will fix it right now.

Connie

Another idea is to divide up their run into several smaller runs, and rotate the chickens through it. Then, by the time they get back to the first division, it has grown green grass again. These could be strips, or whatever works in the space you have.

As for ducks, I understand that their areas are just smelly. Not sure that you can have odor-free animals. People with ducks may have better suggestions...??

I use lime in the chicken run...under the fig trees..etc...We have a lot of yard space for them with grass...but of course, they love the dirt...So, I rake it in...helps alot with the odor..

Can anyone help me with this? We are going to convert an old hog pen to a chicken pen. I know hogs carry lots of parasites--my question is, if I got some agricultural lime and put on the ground would it kill the parasites or is there a better way? I would appreciate any help I can get on this!
idunno.gif

I would put down lime, water it well, and wait a few days. Then put down a layer of food grade diatomaceous earth and a thick layer of straw. The DE dehydrated insect bodies and is said to kill parasites! It really cuts down on flies and odor in my pens!

if I got some agricultural lime and put on the ground would it kill the parasites

Ag lime is Calcium Carbonate, which is the same thing as Oyster shell.
It won't harm much of anything

I wouldn't be worried about "parasites" from pigs, since they don't infect chickens any way

Parasites are usually species specific

Thank you both so much for your responses! I do have DE and it probably would not hurt to put that down and mix it in anyway. Really did not think of that. I am excited to get a new bird pen! Thanks again for your replies!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom