Putting together our first flock

that's not thinking too much! I think it's great
big_smile.png

What you'll find is some people will ask for the "easter egg carton" once they know you have them....but keeping to one breed can make it easier too.

Sandra

Quote:
Thanks Sandra.....

You got me thinking (
wink.png
)....I bet the kids would love to find the easter eggs while gathering...it would add even more fun to it....

My pick on the brown egger is cuckoo maran they lay a very dark egg

but my all time #1 pick is the araucana aka americana the tinted eggs sell great and people love them.

Salmon Faverolles have been steady egg layers...light tan color for egg shell color. Personality plus! Gentle birds but they get picked on easily by aggressive hens or cockerals...I dont see a problem if the Faverolle has been raised with its cousins from the hatchery...all for the better than the one that has been introduced into the flock.

EEs are great birds, variety of egg colors and number one in my customer wants!

Last Thanksgiving I was given a flock of over 30 birds. They were sex-links, barred rocks, and EE's. So, now that they're laying well (I get nearly 20 a day) I started selling eggs to our little senior citizens group that meets for lunch each day. When I started getting blue and green eggs from the Eggers I started including one of them in each dozen I sold. It wasn't long until everyone that bought eggs would have to check to see if they got their green egg, too. It made for lots of fun. You might consider something like this with your children and selling eggs. It could be more fun for them and the customers, too.

I have one customer that asks for the light green eggs (even though they are smaller) because their kids think they are fun.

My all time favorite brown layer is the Barred Rock. To me, they are the "American" Chicken... like apple pie!
lol.png
All my BRs have been friendly, harty and good layers.
As far as RIR being mean, I've heard that about the roos. The girls, however, are also great pets.

Hi, we were just given 9 RIR's and now we are hooked! They are only 9 weeks old and we don't know if we have hens or roosters, but we are already thinking of having more of a variety. We will only keep 3 or 4 of the RIR's that are hens and want to order some chicks. We want good pets that lay eggs. Thinking of: Araucana; Blk. Australorp; Buff Orpington; and either Silverlaced Wyandotte or Barred Rock. Don't know much about the last two. What do you all think of these?

I like Buff Orpingtons too. They are very quiet and laid back, and enjoy being petted. We never had much luck with either of ours laying much. Another fav is Golden Comets; they are just so curious and funny...Black or Red Stars are too. None of those are real big on being picked up, though. Weve had a lot of fun with our Easter egg chickens, too; also Silkies are very tame. Gee, do I have just one favorite? Haha, I love them all.

Back
Top Bottom