Putting together our first flock

Mr.Dad

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2007
North Jersey
I know we may be asking for a lot here but here goes.....

First: They have to be good with young (one very young) kids

Second: Be able to take cold Winters...I plan to have a lamp in the coop but we can go with-out power often enough to concern me, and the genset is probably gonna have to run the freezer when push comes to shove.....we may end up with a bigger, or another genset but I don't want to count on that to start with....

Third: Be a good brown egg layer

We've decided to start with about 15 birds and build from there....

So far I've got Golden and Silver Laced Wyandottes on the list.....any other thoughts on breeds that fit the above?....

I'm still not sure if we should play the odds and not order a male (we only want one)......

Also we're figuring on ordering the chicks from 'Ideal' this way we can go with the smaller amount of birds....but we're new to this so if anyone has any other suggestions we'd be happy to hear them....

Mr.Dad, whenever I'm asked this question, I always say Light Brahmas.

They are the only breed I have. They do well in cold weather, are gentle, lay lots of brown eggs, and are my favorite breed.

Most people love the breeds they have and are eager to tell you that, it's what works best for you.

I know you plan to order from ideal, which is fine with me. For a good education on alot of the breeds, it's fun to go on the web site Murray McMurray has just to read and have fun. Click near the center top on day old chicks, then click on any breed, it will tell a little about each one, just for fun. here's the link. http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/index.html

bigzio

Also Australorps, Cochins, Jersey Giants (although they will be too big for your children to pick up), Orpingtons, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, and Welsummer.

Would you prefer standards or bantams?

Quote:
Thanks bigzio....they are nice looking birds as well......

I've been reading all over the place....I'm a little dazed and confused I think from all the new info rattling around in my head....LOL....

I was going to order from McMurray but I don't think we're going to start with 25....that's when I read here somewhere about Ideal having a min price rather than min number of chicks.....

Quote:
We're going to go with standards....I love the the look of the RIR but I think I read somewhere they can be nasty unless I now have them confused with another breed...I've done a good job of driving myself and my family crazy the last few days if you read the other thread.....

Cool site BTW.....gonna head back and read some more later on....

IF you're not completely set on brown egg layers ( any particular reason why?)-- easter eggers are fun. They lay bluish green eggs and if you're lucky you can get olive, or red. PRETTY AWESOME. My egg cartons always look like it's easter! They're very hardy, and mine lay through winter (except during molt which is normal).

Sandra
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Hi Mr.Dad, I think Buff Orpingtons are very friendly,sweet as can be & good brown egg layers.I have several that are lap chickens!

Whatever breed you get, sounds like they will have a wonderful home.

Good luck! Miriam

Easter eggers are fun and quite gentle easy to work with. My fav has been our barred rock gals they lay well and are pretty curious and active, and don't mind being picked up and held. Good luck!!

With my standard breeds that handle the cold, the Buff Orps lay that largest (large to jumbo) light brown eggs. But mine are not friendly and others report they are. My friendliest are EE's and productions reds. (Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red cross) You have to keep in mind that chickens are people too. Opps, I mean like people, everyone has a different personality. Of course some breeds may have certain dispositions.

Thanks for the replies....

I was thinking about sticking with brown eggs because as our flock grows I'm going to get the kids involved with building a cart and selling the eggs out front...I thought it would not only be a fun hobby and nice pets for them, but they could learn a little about the basics of business...work/profit/costs/work etc....I'm not expecting to really make money because we would be small scale but they would get some experience on growing a small operation and maybe it would instil some ethics for their future...ie 'hard work pays'....

PS....Yes I think too much.....LOL.....

Back
Top Bottom