Putting young quail together

Quaillvr

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
Does anyone know if I can mix 2 week old quail with the batch hatched 20 days before them? Like how old are they when they start getting aggressive toward each other?

If you have the month olds in the brooder they might attack the younger chicks. If you have the 20 day olds separate it would be better, besides the big boys can trample the younger ones easier.
As far as aggressiveness, depends on the type as some quail are not as aggressive as others. But bulling is always an issue among most chicks I have seen. There's a lot of other factors too, lack of high protien feeds, light colors, etc that can cause aggressiveness. But I have seen it as early as 3 days old and up in Bobwhites. Mean heartless little peeps.

I don’t get many issues mixing ages unless they are 6+ weeks. I actually have a 7 week old in with some 3 week olds and he’s been fine. He was my “first hatched ever” lol so I kinda want to keep him.

But these are Coturnix and the other males have not yet gotten their hormones by the time they do I will be mixing up the pens again anyway and maybe have some mates for “Lucky” lol the first born...

Anyway the answer is maybe. You could try it, most likely the answer will be found out quickly. If it’s not going to work with mine I know it pretty darn quick lol. I have better luck mixing older females with younger batches they almost seem to like them cuddling it’s weird.

Can’t speak for bob whites do not have any experience with them sorry.

Back
Top Bottom