PVC Chicken Tractor w waterer

Nice job. I wanted to build something simple like this as well, but with a wire door. Never thought about using those pipes as a waterer though...... good idea.

It has been several days with two storms. It looks very good. And very easy to move with tow straps.
End up, I think using the wire and fence as the door is not a bad idea. That save a lot of money on those expensive hardware and time. The whole structure is very stable and robust for moving around.

The chickens are mowing my grass now.

I don't see how they can drink out of those holes<scratcheshead>
Unless pipes are kept very full, and level, plus why add all that weight?

Usually, I put 10 gallon water in until next move (about 5 days). They did drink from the holes. If the ground is not level, use a piece of wood to change it. I think it will be good to drill the holes along each side except the middle one.
The idea is also using that water weight to stable the tractor to prevent wind.
I do have two clean out plugs in the pipes. If needed, I can open them to clean out the water.
With tow strap, I can move it after 5 days with some water in it. PVC pipe like a skid on the grass.

Interesting idea. When I first saw it, I was like "whoa, that thing is going to blow across the field like a loose tarp", but with the water in it, seems like a decent way to ballast it. I wonder if you have more "T" sections if they would be able to access the water better.

I think this structure (5x10") is robust for towing. And good weight for stable and moving.
I drill 1.5" holes. They can drink from the holes. They actually don't need to drink from T elbow.
I will drill two holes on each sides. Then you don't even need to level the pipe. Too many holes might affect the structure. Adding T will add the cost and assembly time.

I have 8 roosters in it. And move every 4 days to mow the grass.

Back
Top Bottom