PVC Feeder

Love the concept of PVC feeders especially as I begin to realize just how messy chicks can be with their food between the waste and shavings and poop-- ugh. My concern though is my chickens would be hostile and fight over feeding. I have 4 BR pullets who are 5 weeks old and it seems everything is a social activity for them. They all drink at the same time; when one goes to the trough feeder to eat they all scamper over to eat too; when one decides its time to peck on the chick stick they all join in, etc... Will they get more independent as they grown up and get out of the brooder? Will they learn to take turns and share? Or am I going to have to devise multiple pvc feeders for them?

I really like the PVC feeders. I am new to owning my own flock. What are all the materials needed and different types of PVC feeders? Thank you!

I played around with how long to make the horizontal piece. I found that a 5 inch length allowed the pellets to pile up at the edge of the feeder without pouring out.
How tall are the drain pipes? 3 feet? that would a make a difference on the bottom length. Thanks for the great idea too!

does the five inch horizontal depend on the vertical length or is five inches what works no matter the height?
I would think that it would depend on the height, but I don't think you would have to extend it more than a couple extra inches even if you were to add a couple extra feet to the top. Here's my suggestion. Cut it at about 8 inches and try it out! (don't glue it obviously) If it's too long, then adjust appropriately.

5" horizontal worked with a 3.5' vertical. Might need to play around with it if your vertical is different. I didnt make mine more than 3.5' so that it was still easy to pour in the feed.

JimmyWalt,
Good eye, its actually double walled drain pipe.
The few pellets that do get knocked out are quickly eaten from the ground.
Heres that close up:

I cut the bottom flange off to give the hens easier access.

I bought all the supplies at homedepot, in their outdoor drainage section.

-4" double walled drain pipe
-90 degree, 4" elbow
-a 4" cap for the top
-a 4" down spout adapter
http://www.homedepot.com/p/NDS-2-in-x-3-in-x-4-in-Styrene-Offset-Down-Spout-Adapter-904/100377412?N=bv13#.UUvHSFsac
I like this one. How much do they hold I have to be gone a couple weeks and my son will feed them
I dont want him to have to come over every day...this might work .Thanks for the detailed description and home Depot link . the downspout adapter.... couldnt figure it out until I went to home depot website

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom