pyncheon thread

I have a pretty pair of pyncheons...they don't have willow legs, but they are nice otherwise. My hen went broody last spring and hatched out a few chicks. She's a ferocious mother, lol - nothin' got near her babes! I plan to separate my bantams into breeding pairs come this spring so I can get pure offspring/eggs. I will be willing to sell and ship eggs to anyone who would like some. I can sell chicks to anyone local enough to come pick em up. (So Cal, an hour north of LA) I'll be sure and post again come spring when I am ready.

I saw your post about expecting some eggs on the California thread. I saw some pictures of this breed last year and thought they were lovely little birds, but don't really know much about them. Very exciting that you are getting some and I'd love to hear about how it goes.

The pictures of the birds on the auction were small and I couldn't see leg color, sure hope at least a couple hatch and I see willow legs. They may end up as showmanship birds for 4-H kids since conformation isn't likely.

Most of the pictures I've seen don't have willow legs.
hmm.png
They're awfully cute though. Reminds me of little Cream Legbars. Love the small crests.

Are Pyncheons ABA accepted? My 12 yr old is in 4-H, and I have become the poultry leader by default (lack of parental involvement). New with 4-H, so we are muddling through. We just set 7 Serama eggs last night under a little broody hen. No more would fit! We like the Seramas, but since they are only partially ABA accepted, showing is limited. Seems like he has to show the bird to do showmanship with it? If it gets DQ for variety, can he still use it for showmanship? Maybe Pyncheons would be a breed to try.

Edited because there is no such thing as a Cram Legbar.

Last edited:
You just mirrored my 4-H story, only I'm poultry superintendent.
Yes pyncheons are ABA recognized, Mille Fleur plumage is the sole variety. Seramas give you a few options anyway. I'm guessing an approved variety could be found by posing a plea on the CA north thread.
We are a small poultry division up here and the bird used for showmanship is judged in conformation also while at the fair. Any bird can be used for showmanship since it is more centered on the kids knowledge than the perfection of their bird. Up here the judge shuffles the birds to test their overall knowledge, I tease my daughter about showing a rubber chicken.
I know nothing of the Puncheon's character, maybe someone will chime in. If they fly off the table that IS a dq! Working with his bird of choice and developing trust is the biggest hurdle. I'm sure he will do great!
Mariah has done showmanship with an OEGB, Brahma bantam and a dutch bantam. They didn't always behave the way she wanted them to but by calmly dealing with scattering the shavings all over the table or being terrified to walk by the judges clip she has done well.

Poultry superintendent?! Then you are the one to ask!
big_smile.png
The club we joined is very small. Only 2 kids are doing poultry right now and the other girl can't keep chickens (mom's okay, dad says no
hmm.png
) so she was going to build an incubator, hatch some chicks and sell them. My son hasn't shown yet, he mostly wants to breed. Everybody else does market cows and pigs, but the meeting place is about 2 minutes away, so I'd hate to have to join another group. Hopefully next year we can attract some new kids.

I'll be curious to see how the Pyncheon's develop. We have a couple of bantam Cochins (from Chooklet) and they are the sweetest little things. Have to see how they handle the summer heat, and maybe we'll switch to Cochins. Our Seramas are a bit aggressive; they have not been nice to the Cochins. Great with people, though. I wouldn't worry about one flying off the judging table so much as one flying up into the rafters! The other birds he's really interested in are d'Anvers. It's the cheeks!

Back
Top Bottom