Q.) Do chickens appreciate being picked up by humans???

I was thinking it was an Ameraucana thing
wink.png
The line we have of Large Fowl Wheaten and Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas is soooo people-friendly. One of the pullets really likes me to hold out my arm for her to fly onto it whenever I enter the coop, and they all enjoy cuddling.
It seems some breeds and family lines of chickens are genetically predisposed to be people-oriented, but of course individuals vary.
Hope you enjoy getting to know your 2 better as they get to know you better. It sounds like you will be a caring owner for them
smile.png

Last edited:
Every chicken has its own personality. Their qualities may not run deep but as a species, they are very broad.

I choose chickens to free-range around the backyard when I'm out there. This is how these current pullets will be "thinned down" to my customary small flock of hens. Usually, I've turned over the "thinning" process to someone else and merely asked that the best looking hens be left as my layers. This time, I've decided to keep the birds that are the tamest - darned if I know which ones will be the champion layers and which ones won't, so this approach should be as good as any other.

Two Barred Rocks have always been calm and interested in what I'm up to. It's easiest for me to pick them up and move them outside and they really seem to want me to pick them up. At about 12 weeks, they began to understand the benefit of pushing right up to me and not retreating when I reach for them.

Olivia, a little Australorp pullet, has always pushed up against me from the time she was tiny. However, she does NOT want to be picked up! I sometimes get rather frustrated waiting for her to get in position in front of the gate so that I can let her out and keep others in . . .

Once out in the yard, Olivia wants to stay close to me most of the time. She doesn't mind being touched and even flies up on me sometimes. But, I'm not going to sit around and get pooped on. I think she is very controlling and doesn't fully appreciate my leadership. Australorps, from my experience, tend to these personality traits. I find myself lecturing her, now and then . . .
old.gif

Steve
oh gosh, now I see that Cynthia has an Olivia, too . . .

Last edited:
What is interesting is that I can hold these girls for long periods and they never poop on me, ever! Funny how they seem to control themselves at that time.
Yep, Steve, I have a cute little poofy-headed Olivia with what I call a wonky comb. She is adorable and raised chicks a few months ago. She has two look-alike sisters, Kate and Tux.

First of all, there's no reason to believe that your older hen was "abused" before she landed in your yard. Animals have different temperaments, and a chicken in particular will develop an aversion to being handled merely because she was not handled as a youngster. There's nothing wrong with that -- just her preference.

Some chickens like to be picked up, petted, and others don't. I have sixteen of six different breeds, all hatchmates raised identically, and there are strong breed differences in temperament, and individual variation within the breeds.

About five of the sixteen are lap chickens who want to jump up on my knee and tell me about their days when I sit down. A couple of those get jealous and horn in when another chick is getting the attention. All of these like to be petted. Some of the others hate to be touched, while others don't mind being touched, but don't want to be picked up.

Only one likes to be picked up. She got some extra handling while we were treating her for a crooked toes when she was little. Now she's a little chicken-puppy.

hi guys
im astonished what fast and large amounts of replies i have.
this is undeniably the best forum i have ever joined.

well ive only been into chickens for about 2.5 weeks now.

The suburb in Sydney I live in, has alot of people from 3rd world countries mostly middle eastern.
and it is not uncommon for slaughtering of live stock.
so when the first hen flew into my backyard, it actually stayed there as a safe haven for about nearly 2 weeks.
it dissapeared at night somehwere but always came back during the day exploring my backyard. so obviously it liked it here.

although in suburban areas, we do not have any natrual predators...but its the humans i distrust around here. and in dense populated areas its a good idea to keep them enclosed & contained from the public & roads.

so thats why im here on this forum, i thought id just keep it, protect it from slaughtering and possible mistreatment (since its not docile). and come online to learn a thing or two about them.

i might try to pick it up at least once every few days and like someone said, i will let it go when its calm down.
the treats may work i think. im going to go shopping for some.

once again im glad ive joined this great forum
look forward to hearing more from you guys
big_smile.png
wink.png

Hi eeiko321 and welcome to the forum. A few things that I think may be helpful to you. You mentioned that the chicken you try to pick up flaps her wings and squawks alot. Try picking her up in such a way that she can't flap her wings. Hold her close, firmly but not tightly. Support her feet with your other hand or if you're sitting allow her feet to rest on your lap. Talk calmly and quietly to her. She'll get more used to you in time. Try to be down on her level when you're interacting with her. No chicken likes things that swoop down on them from above; cuz if you think about it that's how a flying predator would take a chicken.
And think treats. A chicken can become your best friend with enough treats. They think with their stomachs!
I have 18 chickens. They all come running to me, especially when there's food involved. Some like to be picked up, some don't mind the closeness but they'd rather play by my feet or be on the arm of my lawn chair vs. my lap. So I pet the ones that want to be petted and let the others be. Remember the path to a chicken's heart is through their stomach and spending time with them is good for them and you'll find out it's very relaxing for you too.

Chickens are like people...some like it, some don't. But we try to "make" our babies like being held when they are young with quiet words, stroking, then giving a treat. Works like a charm...particularly the treat. Most of them grew up and still like being held, but there are some that just don't. To each his own!!

Back
Top Bottom