Quail and Chickens togethers?

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
Does anyone have setups they can share for how to keep chickens and quail together in the same yard - but different coops?

Also, can they free-range in the same yard if you provide enough hiding spaces?

Or can you share some links about people who do it with any pros/cons or tips for doing both?

I have read that you don't because of diseases, so how would you recommend it if you can't? I figure I could let the chickens free range and keep the quail in a larger coop and run. Suggestions?

TIA

Last edited:
Quail and chickens should be kept a as separate as you can. If they can't be 100' apart, do the best you can. It may help if you practise strict biosecurity, such as different shoes when you care for the quail to prevent moving disease between the pens.

If you free range your quail, be prepared to lose them. They can and do fly, and they generally don't come home. Everything likes to eat quail. If you choose to take the risk and free range them with your chickens, you are not only exposing them to diseases that your chickens are resistant to but still carrying, the chickens are likely to bully or kill your quail, even with hiding places.

My quail and chickens are not together but the quail have their own section of the chicken coop. They can be kept next to each other but not together. The chickens can pick on the quail, the quail can get sick, etc.

My quail and chickens are not together but the quail have their own section of the chicken coop. They can be kept next to each other but not together. The chickens can pick on the quail, the quail can get sick, etc.
How to you keep them from getting sick? If they're in the same coop? I would think I should keep them in two different coops so there is less disease to transmit. I wonder if there are vaccines you can give them to help prevent it.

How to you keep them from getting sick? If they're in the same coop? I would think I should keep them in two different coops so there is less disease to transmit. I wonder if there are vaccines you can give them to help prevent it.
I dont think they can get sick if they cant interact. I'm pretty sure most of the diseases are spread through water or poop. You could have 2 different coops but it is up to you.

I dont think they can get sick if they cant interact. I'm pretty sure most of the diseases are spread through water or poop. You could have 2 different coops but it is up to you.
Diseases can be spread very easily by airborne transfer....this is the reason they should be separated by at least 100 feet.

Diseases can be spread very easily by airborne transfer....this is the reason they should be separated by at least 100 feet.
It is probably better to keep them in a separated coop but 100 feet sounds like overkill. I have never had problems with my setup I use it for most of the year then in the winter the quail go in my garage. I have seen some people even successfully keep quail and chickens in the same pen with no issues. I guess it kind of just depends on the setup and stuff.

How far are yours? Do you have any pictures of your setup? How cold are your winters that they go into the garage? Mine our mild in So. California.
Well right now it is about 25 degrees in March. Part of the inside of my Serama coop is sectioned off and that is where the quail live most of the time. Since I have button quail, I spent a lot of time sealing up any little holes or places they could escape the pen from. Next summer I might make an area for the button quail to go outside but im not sure.

I've had my quail next to chickens as well with no problems (free range chickens, caged quail). Like anything they need to build up immunity but keeping them 100' apart doesn't build up their immunity to the other unless wind, birds, etc are exposing them often. Yes, if they aren't established together to begin with, you could lose some but that's because they haven't built up immunity to what they're exposed to yet. I prefer natural immunity everytime.

Back
Top Bottom