Quail and Chickens togethers?

I've had my quail next to chickens as well with no problems (free range chickens, caged quail). Like anything they need to build up immunity but keeping them 100' apart doesn't build up their immunity to the other unless wind, birds, etc are exposing them often. Yes, if they aren't established together to begin with, you could lose some but that's because they haven't built up immunity to what they're exposed to yet. I prefer natural immunity everytime.
Yes I have kept my quail next to my chickens for a year now and have not had any issues. The quail just have their own small section in the chicken coop and they are perfectly fine. 100 feet apart really sounds like overkill to me.

The 100' matters if you want NPIP certification, otherwise the amount of risk you choose to take is up to you. If your flock is disease free and you keep them clean, the risk is fairly low. If something happens, you may lose all of your birds.

There are a lot of ways to do things, and each person will make the decision that works for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom