Quail bumblefoot- quail newbie

Mlmoore1987

Hatching
Jul 18, 2019
Hello. I'm new to owning both chickens and quails. So far so good. BUT...im pretty sure one of my quails has bumblefoot. (Photos below)

I know you basically treat the same as chicken bumblefoot. However, I've never had to deal with chicken bumblefoot either. I've watched lots of videos ave read tons of articles online but it seems like mixed information.

Can someone PLEASE walk me thru every step. I ask this only because...I'm super nervous.. their legs/feet are so tiny. But i don't think i can get around have to cut it out. Ahhh i don't think i can do it. Lol. Someone please help. Id really appreciate any advice i can get.

PS- I've already got her seperated into a cage with just pine shavings instead of hardware cloth.
KIMG01841(1).jpg
20191005_215633.jpg

Hello. I'm new to owning both chickens and quails. So far so good. BUT...im pretty sure one of my quails has bumblefoot. (Photos below)

I know you basically treat the same as chicken bumblefoot. However, I've never had to deal with chicken bumblefoot either. I've watched lots of videos ave read tons of articles online but it seems like mixed information.

Can someone PLEASE walk me thru every step. I ask this only because...I'm super nervous.. their legs/feet are so tiny. But i don't think i can get around have to cut it out. Ahhh i don't think i can do it. Lol. Someone please help. Id really appreciate any advice i can get.

PS- I've already got her seperated into a cage with just pine shavings instead of hardware cloth.View attachment 1926961 View attachment 1926971

I'm finishing up with a case of bumblefoot on my hen. She had it on both feet though. I took her to my vet to do it since I was unsure like you are, and he talked/showed me through the whole thing so I can take care of it next time. :rolleyes:
Anyway, soak her foot in Epsom salt until it's softened up some, then scrap/dig it out. My vet used tweezers, because one came off in bits, the other in one big chunk like everyone describes. The puss needs to be cleaned out too, and it's yellow like their feet :confused:, and it was thick, like a paste or something... he had to scrap it off, as well as a bit under the edges of the whole spot once the black is removed. There was some blood, but not much. One left an indent in her foot, while the other didn't, and she only limped for about a day afterward, then she walked carefully, but no more limping. Her feet were wrapped up in that stretchy type wrap (not tight), with a non-stick bandage soaked in Vetricyn against the spot. I wrap is twice around her foot, then bring it up under her foot, cut 3 toe holes to stick her toes thru, a quick wrap around the ankle with a piece of tape wrapped around it, hopefully holding it in place. I've heard it can last anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6months. :hmm My girl had one heal in 2 months, I went to change her bandages (daily thing) and the scab was gone, and yellow foot looking at me!!!:wee So now I'm impatiently waiting for the other foot to heal. I'm almost at 3.5months. I never did anything except clean her feet daily and change the wraps... but she's been outside with her flock and they do get dirty. (probably slowed down the healing a little too).
Good luck, it's a bit nerve wracking, but doable. Hope this helped!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom