Quail chick not eating

BibithaKat

Hatching
Jul 14, 2023
So recently I brought in a quail chick 2 days ago that was abandoned. It has trouble walking and standing up as it keeps tripping. Nothing seems to be wrong with its feet though. I also bought it food for quail and wanted to know if it was the right kind for the chick.
IMG_4633.jpeg

(I dont have any experience with these birds or any, please help !!)

That feed is absolutely NOT suitable for a quail chick. It's only 9.5% protein. See if you can find a game bird or turkey starter feed for it. Since it hasn't been eating, I would start with some Nutri-Drench in water to give it an energy boost to start eating and drinking on its own.

If the chick is very young, it needs heat as well.

If you can post a picture of the chick, we can probably tell about how old it is.

Here are some feeds that would be more suitable for your little quail. You may look for smaller packages since you have a very small bird, and, I'm afraid, you may not need to feed it for long. Many farms and mills will sell locally in smaller amounts, and may be perfect for your needs. You don't say where you are, but you may well have a feed store or mill near you.

Growing quail chicks need 28% or higher level of protein. They also can't handle the grains in your feed. Getting a starter feed means it will be ground up small enough for your baby.

Purina Game Bird Feed (I haven't found it in anything other than 40 lb packages)
Sugar Feather Farm (Vermont) - You have to pick up, but they sell in 5 lb packages, as well as larger. If you order the big size, they will ship it.
Manna Pro Game bird starter - 5 lb., and adequate
Homestead Harvest (I like this, but I only find it online in 40 lb packages)

And here is a very helpful article from Nabiki on caring for coturnix quail. And another article on quail diseases and prevention from Two Crows. And a discussion on diseases quail can catch from healthy chickens.

Last edited:
I'm amazed that Petco is selling that food as suitable for quail with only 9.5 % protein. As @Nabiki indicated, that's not at all suitable for a chick. It's also not adequate for adult quail.
From the "Additional Details" tab on the Petco webpage: "Our Brown's Dove, Pigeon and Quail Bird Food is a natural, seed based bird food that is preferred by bird watching enthusiasts everywhere! Created for the experienced hobbyist, as well as the novice. This special blend is designed to provide the highest quality seeds and grains required for the nutrition of doves, quails and pigeons. The experience of six generations has helped the Brown's family to develop this wonderful bird food blend."
The only way that feed might be adequate is if the birds are wild and it's being provided in an outdoor bird feeder where the birds have access to real protein sources in the form of insects and such.

Edit to add: I just asked this question on Petco's page for this product. I'll update if I receive a reply:

Do you consider this feed to be nutritionally complete for cage kept quail? Every other reference I've ever seen regarding feed for quail states that it needs to have a minimum of 18% protein. Most people who raise quail provide more than 20%​

Last edited:
So recently I brought in a quail chick 2 days ago that was abandoned. It has trouble walking and standing up as it keeps tripping. Nothing seems to be wrong with its feet though. I also bought it food for quail and wanted to know if it was the right kind for the chick.View attachment 3577233
(I dont have any experience with these birds or any, please help !!)
A wild baby chick? They mainly eat bugs in the wild... I'd say you should go to a pet store or reptile and buy small crickets for them.

Back
Top Bottom