quail chick not growing

pestman

Hatching
Dec 15, 2015
I have 4 quail chicks which hatched on the 8th Dec so are 7 days old now. 3 are growing normally and starting to feather up but one still resembles a day old chick it appears healthy and is feeding well and its droppings appear normal has anyone else experienced this or any idea of what the problem could be.Sorry about the quality of the pic but I hope it gives you some idea of the size difference.

Welcome to BYC!

I've had a few quails that don't grow at first and some started growing and lived but a couple weren't strong enough and died. You could try giving it some poultry vitamins or a bit of mashed up hard-boiled egg for extra nutrition. I think that should help the baby grow.

Thanks Lozuufy,

I will give your advice a go its still doing fine eating and full of energy its just so much smaller than the others.

I have had that happen, but only once. The chick was just weak and didn't survive. However, that may not be the case with this chick. It may just be a late bloomer. See if you can get your hands on it and check for excessive boniness. If that is the case it may not survive. Definitely do as Lozuufy suggests with the vitamins and eggs. Also, check that the feed crumbles are small enough for the chick to swallow. Best of luck.

I just hatched my first bunch of quail and have one similar to yours. he is so much smaller then the others even at almost 2 weeks old, but finally started getting his feathers and seems healthy other than being a runt

JUst popped in here to see if anybody else had a chick like mine.... going to boil some eggs... I just ground her food up in my ninja.... 4 days old the rest are 5 days old and more than twice her size and are getting feathers but not her :( I am desperate to get her growing. I did give her poly visol without iron

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom