Quail coop details?

11ChickenGirl11

Chirping
Apr 29, 2015
Northeast USA
I have recently been debating whether or not to start keeping quail, because they seem like very enjoyable and fascinating creatures! Coturnix quail would be the type I would have because their egg/meat production is much better than the others.

What are the most important construction details for quail coops? This would be an outside coop for around 10 to 20 birds. I would prefer for it not to be a wire cage or have a wire floor.

I've had quail on both wire and dirt/wood chips and I much prefer the wire. I give them sand boxes to rest their feet and they LOVE them but don't avoid walking on the wire. They don't seem to be uncomfortable at all. My quail kept on the ground constantly have issues with their waterer making a slurry of mud and poop. They smell and its gross.
I also prefer to keep them on wire because it keeps them safer from predators. I use half inch hardware cloth on one of thewalls and the doors, have a solid wood back and solid side wall. I figure the solid back and wall provide a wind break but also gives plenty of ventilation. Their floor is also hardware cloth and allows me to collect their droppings for the compost bin.

Back
Top Bottom