Quail coops in the garage? Coexisting with car possible?

kayeich

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
New forum member here. Never owned quail before, but as can be guessed by my posting in this board, I'm thinking about getting some (probably coturnix, pharaohs or tuxedos, because I think they're neatest looking)... if it's a viable in my situation.

My biggest two questions right now are for people who keep theirs in their garage:
What do you all do to keep the quail happy/healthy in the garage that's different from an indoor-kept bird?

Do you keep your car(s) in the driveway or can you get your car in and out of the garage without overly stressing the birds?

For further clarifications on my situation....
Keeping them outside isn't practical as I just don't have enough of a backyard, and even if I did, I don't feel it's safe either, as I've had racoons get in there and mess with trash cans and I just shudder thinking of them getting into quail coops. I also saw pictures of some quail literally walking over to raccoons in some thread because they got curious. Did not end well. Obviously.
hmm.png

Also feel I'll probably have a fight with the HOA if they're outside. My reading of their CCR says I should be okay, but the less chance of getting a fight out of them when I ask, the better. If I keep them inside, it's much more likely for them not to give me grief over it. I at least don't have city ordinance problems and license issues (if even needed) doesn't seem complicated.

Indoor is kinda a possibility...but the garage probably is the best location where I can convert space to a decent home for them. I have a two-car garage, live alone and I'm really just using the other half as storage space currently.

Garage also means their stinkiness is sort-of outside the house if/when it gets bad (I hope to do enough regular cleanings and use advice given by people regarding indoor quail smell maintenance in general to keep the smell down, and I don't plan to keep too many either, but best to play it safe).

Even though the garage is the best location though, I... plan to keep my car in the other half of the garage...

So yes, now I worry about stressing the quail/getting them hurt. It's mostly the noise I worry about, as I don't pre-warm the car in the garage or anything like that, just open the garage door, get out/in, and close garage door. Don't travel all that much either besides to/from work, and usually if I do shopping or the like in one go, so the garage should really open just twice a day on average.

Because I've read that quail are fairly sensitive to disturbances, I've been honestly more worried about that than the HOA.

Wanted to get advice on the matter, and also wondering if limiting coop height, padding the coop ceiling, and/or providing hideaway locations in their homes all might be enough of a solution, or if I'd just have to keep my car in the driveway if I want garage quail.

Is there any chance that they just get used to it? That would be amazing if they did.

I mean, if there's quail that will just walk up to a racoon asking to have their necks snapped...admittedly, the racoon's probably quieter than the garage door (automatic, btw) and the car.

So yeah, any answers from garage quail owners (or quail owners in general if they have advice) regarding quail stress/co-existence with cars would be appreciated.

I've seen plenty of 'Don't keep quail with chickens!' comments before, but now just need to see about keeping them with my car!
tongue.png

keeping your car in the garage with the quail won't be a problem for the quail provided you open the door before starting the engine and not allowing it to sit idle for any length of time, i'd be more concerned about the dust/dander that's going to get all in and on your car and it will also be tracked into the house.

I live in a semi next door to a drummer and my quail and rabbits are in the basement right now. The drums are in the adjacent basement and everyone is happy as far as I can tell. Unless you ride a hog, you're not going to make as much noise, so you should be good.

Pretty soon you'll be parking your car outside so that you can expand your quail operation, so you won't be worried that the car will bother your girls. Then you'll sell your car so that you can raise more quail and, hey, you're staying home to look after them anyway, so you don't really need the car. Welcome to the addiction.

keeping your car in the garage with the quail won't be a problem for the quail provided you open the door before starting the engine and not allowing it to sit idle for any length of time
I live in a semi next door to a drummer and my quail and rabbits are in the basement right now. The drums are in the adjacent basement and everyone is happy as far as I can tell. Unless you ride a hog, you're not going to make as much noise, so you should be good.

Good to know! Thanks a bunch for quick replies! =)

i'd be more concerned about the dust/dander that's going to get all in and on your car and it will also be tracked into the house.

Yeah...that and the smell are things I figure I'll just have to experience and see how to manage and if I can manage them. Definitely another reason to start small on this sort of project.

Pretty soon you'll be parking your car outside so that you can expand your quail operation, so you won't be worried that the car will bother your girls. Then you'll sell your car so that you can raise more quail and, hey, you're staying home to look after them anyway, so you don't really need the car. Welcome to the addiction.

I did say I had no plans to keep too many... But yes, everything starts somewhere, and I could see myself becoming that badly addicted... well, not to the point of selling my car, but at least to the point of them taking over my whole garage.

The smell everyone warns about indoor quail, or the dust/dander that JetCat brought up may lay me low before it gets to the point of car selling.

Or heck, the HOA still could. I still have to ask permission/make sure they see things my way!

I really wouldn't ask if it's OK. If you think it is, go ahead and do it. Don't tell anybody for at least 6 months. That way, if they find out, you've got a track record of keeping them with no issues.

HOAs. Because we really don't live by enough rules already...

I really wouldn't ask if it's OK. If you think it is, go ahead and do it. Don't tell anybody for at least 6 months. That way, if they find out, you've got a track record of keeping them with no issues.

HOAs. Because we really don't live by enough rules already...

it's better to ask forgiveness then permission!!!

it's better to ask forgiveness then permission!!!

Yup. If you ask for permission, you have to give reasons why you should. If they want to stop you after you've had them, they have to give reasons why not. They aren't hard to keep and aren't hard to keep well, so you shouldn't cause any issues with the neighbours. No complaints means no justification for forcing you to stop, though I know that people who like HOAs will tell you to stop anyway.

Good luck.

you mean there are people who actually like having an HOA? Oh it's those types who never speak unless it's behind your back!!
lau.gif

Yeah. There's a group around here that wants to make a group land purchase a couple of hours away from a big city. They want land in an unincorporated township so there are no municipal codes to meet except for septic systems. They then went on to draft a huge list of rules that far outstripped anything required in any municipality. Very few of those interested saw any issue with that.

They were initially talking about 4-8 acres for about $4k, which is the going rate per acre for large acreages, so I was interested. Now it's over $10k for 1/2 an acre with the majority of the land set aside for "enjoyment". They all want to build their own tiny homes or cottages, but they've implemented a tool exchange where everyone stores their tools in a shed and they get signed out and returned. The most exotic tool anyone who's going through with it has is a sawzall. It would be funny if they weren't all throwing away $10k or more.

The funniest thing is that all gardens have to be sustainable with no non-organic fertilizer. Many in the group think it's OK to have some chickens for eggs or a cow or goat for milk as long as none of the animals are harmed ever. Many others refuse to take part if anyone is allowed to "subject animals to slavery". This is in forested land on Canadian Shield, so it's not like there's more than a few inches of soil.

Last edited:
I keep quail in the garage with no issues. The car doesn't seem to bother them when its being pulled in or out. I use the GQF breeder pens to save on space since they can be stacked 5 high.

Back
Top Bottom