Quail Housing

ivyboo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Toledo, Ohio
I hatched 23 quail 3 weeks ago. I didn’t expect to have such a great hatch! I was going to use a rabbit hutch originally with deep litter method. It’s off the ground with plastic flooring. However, I need something bigger. So my question is what is the best housing? Some thing on the ground or something off the ground, and with or without wire flooring. I’m looking for something fairly basic to build and that will do well outdoors in cold and hot weather. I’m from Ohio, so It can go either way.

Here's a picture, at least I'm going to try to add it of the pen I built this year. I am by no means a carpenter and had a friend that let me use his saws.

Its 10 foot long and 3 foot deep and I split it into 3 separate pens. Everyone on my road thinks I'm raising rabbits. I made the front I think 5.5 foot and the back 4.5 feet just to get a slope for rain run off. My reasoning for the sizes was that the 1/2 inch wire I got was 10 x 3 and the rough cut lumber I bought was 10 foot long. I bought I think 10 4x4 and ripped them down to 2x2. I probably could have ripped some of the 2x2's down to 2x1 but didn't. I found them at a local lumber yard in their rough cut "pen quality" pile. I paid about $35 for the lumber. The roof is the ondura stuff you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I watched youtube video's and its perfect for someone that doesn't know what their doing. very simple to use.

I have X-mas lights run inside to add light that I bought at Walmart for $5. I also mounted one of those power bars that I got for $10 to the inside so that i have one extention cord that I can hook up heat lights and my white X-mas lights to. Yes, I went a little overboard but it looks pretty cool all lite up at night.

I would highly recommend watching the Slightly Redneck youtube video on building a quail pen as this is were I got my idea. Coturnix Corner also has a very good pen build video but I had already built mine before I found that one.

Good luck and have fun

Attachments

• pen.jpg
    pen.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 29
Here's a picture, at least I'm going to try to add it of the pen I built this year. I am by no means a carpenter and had a friend that let me use his saws.

Its 10 foot long and 3 foot deep and I split it into 3 separate pens. Everyone on my road thinks I'm raising rabbits. I made the front I think 5.5 foot and the back 4.5 feet just to get a slope for rain run off. My reasoning for the sizes was that the 1/2 inch wire I got was 10 x 3 and the rough cut lumber I bought was 10 foot long. I bought I think 10 4x4 and ripped them down to 2x2. I probably could have ripped some of the 2x2's down to 2x1 but didn't. I found them at a local lumber yard in their rough cut "pen quality" pile. I paid about $35 for the lumber. The roof is the ondura stuff you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. I watched youtube video's and its perfect for someone that doesn't know what their doing. very simple to use.

I have X-mas lights run inside to add light that I bought at Walmart for $5. I also mounted one of those power bars that I got for $10 to the inside so that i have one extention cord that I can hook up heat lights and my white X-mas lights to. Yes, I went a little overboard but it looks pretty cool all lite up at night.

I would highly recommend watching the Slightly Redneck youtube video on building a quail pen as this is were I got my idea. Coturnix Corner also has a very good pen build video but I had already built mine before I found that one.

Good luck and have fun
I like Coturnix Corner’s YouTube video as well! Looks simple to make. But ended up purchasing a quail hutch from hatchingtime! I considered my tool use knowledge (0) and tools on hand (0) and the cost. And came up with something that is doable for me.

Rabbit cages work well for small batches of quail.
I have 3.

I would avoid Hatching time cages at all costs. They falsely advertise what those tiny cages will hold.

Yes, I only have 12 quail eggs to hatch. Hopefully I’ll get 1/2 out of the lot to hatch. New quail mom here. I also received 12 additional quail eggs in the mail. Don’t know why since my order was for only 12. I’ll try to incubate the new batch of quail eggs after the first set goes to the brooder...

Rabbit cages work well for small batches of quail.
I have 3.

I would avoid Hatching time cages at all costs. They falsely advertise what those tiny cages will hold.
I haven’t found rabbit cages around lately. Where do you recommend I pick some up?

Back
Top Bottom