Quail keepers UK and EU - treat / food query

thanks so much for your view and info on this @Perris really useful - but after seeing your post I think I'm going to have a go at growing my own anyway! Worms that is. I got quail to know where my eggs come from and make sure they're living their best life... now to grow the things to feed the things to get the eggs! need to write a kids story book on this ;)

@HattiLongSoks you might find this interesting..

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/zoo.21246

It’s info on the potential of commercially reared feeder insects for poultry nutrition, how this can be improved by changing their diet, and nutrients that are deficient in feeder insects to look for elsewhere if you plan on using them as a protein source.

In short variety is key, calci worms, mealworms, crickets ect.
I also add freshwater algae (spirulina/chlorella), kelp, and oregano to mine as well as feeding my home reared bugs with a diet high in methionine, beta carotene and omega 3.

Didn’t realise it was illegal to buy them in, better and cheaper to make your own anyway.

Last edited:
thank you @Ital I love an Open Access article from an academic publisher! (noticed you and a few others post a lot of these - my download file is getting full!)

I'll have a read of that tomorrow when I'm on the train to Liverpool.

I think I've missed the key about variety somewhat (I've got mine specific heygates quail pellets, a mix of quail spefici seeds separately, same for grit, oyster shell, I've been giving them greens here and there too, they love basil and dandelion leaves especially, they go mad for the slugs and worms that find their way into their pen.. maybe a few other things, herbs, etc.) so this is good to know and I'll mix things up even more than I have been. I'm going to get a few of all those items you've just mentioned. Thank you!

thank you @Ital I love an Open Access article from an academic publisher! (noticed you and a few others post a lot of these - my download file is getting full!)

I'll have a read of that tomorrow when I'm on the train to Liverpool.

I think I've missed the key about variety somewhat (I've got mine specific heygates quail pellets, a mix of quail spefici seeds separately, same for grit, oyster shell, I've been giving them greens here and there too, they love basil and dandelion leaves especially, they go mad for the slugs and worms that find their way into their pen.. maybe a few other things, herbs, etc.) so this is good to know and I'll mix things up even more than I have been. I'm going to get a few of all those items you've just mentioned. Thank you!
No worries, most people recommend not adding more than 10% of anything to a blended feed, do you have any males? This from the reviews for heygates quail breeder pellets..

‘Completely unsuitable for male birds
Reviewed in the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 on 16 July 2023
I've been feeding this to mixed flock as it said breeder pellets as opposed to layer pellet. Too much calcium for boys or non laying hens.
My roos have developed gout.
I've spent a lot of money at the vet trying to figure what's wrong. My poor boys are in a lot of pain’

Also be careful where you forage anything as I’ve had problems with coccidiosis after picking greens for them. Avoid anything growing near ducks geese or swans.

Re. Fat being higher in mealworms than calci worms it depends on the age of the worm, mealworms are lower in fat when smaller.

Last edited:
Hi folks, I've been hit and miss on here since getting my quail. They've been keeping me busy!

I wanted to speak to some more local quail owners. I recently found out that feeding dried mealworm / calciworm etc is ILLEGAL in the UK re DEFRA and re food chains etc. I had to google it a fair bit and I'm not particularly interested in hearing anyone say "Oh well I still do it bla bla bla" or if you're not local and in a different country with different rules (this is what's doing my head in most re quail ownership so far, the lack of consistent info and differences across countries which aren't always clearly stated on sources - that and lots of info being focused on meat and egg production which of course is the majority and needed but doesn't always feel like the best info for raising happy healthy birds that can just live their lives)

Luckily I haven't fed my bevy any kind of dried worms yet - unluckily I bought a massive 3-litre bucket of them I'm now giving away to a mate with a massive garden for their wild birds.

I've been following a few more threads with UK and EU folk and wondered what my alternative tasty treat could be for my birds? They don't get excited by much, I'd like to give them something (hence impulse buying calciworms which they probs would have loved from looking at people and places that can and do feed them these.)

So I was wondering if some of the new folk I've followed like @Ital (loving your thread on free rein feeding!) @Perris @Gigachad poultry and anyone else UK / EU based wants to give me any info or tips? Thanks in advance! Especially if I get nice, understanding, responses haha
Millet works great and it's also imho is a great way to add it as a natural type of food, because quail naturally eat seeds. Scrambled eggs are also an amazing treat for quail and all poultry alike!

No worries, most people recommend not adding more than 10% of anything to a blended feed, do you have any males? This from the reviews for heygates quail breeder pellets..

‘Completely unsuitable for male birds
Reviewed in the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 on 16 July 2023
I've been feeding this to mixed flock as it said breeder pellets as opposed to layer pellet. Too much calcium for boys or non laying hens.
My roos have developed gout.
I've spent a lot of money at the vet trying to figure what's wrong. My poor boys are in a lot of pain’

Also be careful where you forage anything as I’ve had problems with coccidiosis after picking greens for them. Avoid anything growing near ducks geese or swans.

Re. Fat being higher in mealworms than calci worms it depends on the age of the worm, mealworms are lower in fat when smaller.
Hi @Ital sorry been busy with the quail - again ....

Oh no okay so Heygates is bad?! I do have 1 boy (who's currently unwell and I'm not sure what with 😥 *) but I have the Heygates Breeder pellets... crap. Should I stop feeding these? I can't seem to find anything in the UK with the high amounts of protein the US folks recommend. I have some chicken feed I could crush up for them that I panic bought when again I thought I was feeding them the wrong stuff based on info from on here. I've spent soooo much on food already, given stuff away, thrown stuff away, and everything I get seems to be wrong :confused:

I don't have ducks or swans anywhere near, but should I stop giving them basil that's currently protecting our tomato plants? And no more dandelion leaves which they seem to love?

* Re the boy, John McQuail, has been fine for ages but suddenly hasn't been able to poo properly the past 2 days, I've put him in the hospital cage in our lean to, he can pass very thin poo (sausage shaped not like watery, brown and white like a normal poo) I haven't seen any blood until today but and I know this sounds weird it kinda doesn't look like blood, just red specs (and red! not like rusty brown blood coloured when it dries - almost like chili flakes or something but they don't have access to anything like that bar this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313946053578 ) he seems fine in himself trying to get away from me, flapping, he's got pellets, grit, dust in case he wants a bath, he's got water and I don't have anything to treat coccidiosis (though have ordered it) but put apple cider vinegar in with his water to help digestion.... could he just bee constipated? Might post this on a new thread to be fair but thought it might link up with the above.

Hi @Ital sorry been busy with the quail - again ....

Oh no okay so Heygates is bad?! I do have 1 boy (who's currently unwell and I'm not sure what with 😥 *) but I have the Heygates Breeder pellets... crap. Should I stop feeding these? I can't seem to find anything in the UK with the high amounts of protein the US folks recommend. I have some chicken feed I could crush up for them that I panic bought when again I thought I was feeding them the wrong stuff based on info from on here. I've spent soooo much on food already, given stuff away, thrown stuff away, and everything I get seems to be wrong :confused:

I don't have ducks or swans anywhere near, but should I stop giving them basil that's currently protecting our tomato plants? And no more dandelion leaves which they seem to love?

* Re the boy, John McQuail, has been fine for ages but suddenly hasn't been able to poo properly the past 2 days, I've put him in the hospital cage in our lean to, he can pass very thin poo (sausage shaped not like watery, brown and white like a normal poo) I haven't seen any blood until today but and I know this sounds weird it kinda doesn't look like blood, just red specs (and red! not like rusty brown blood coloured when it dries - almost like chili flakes or something but they don't have access to anything like that bar this stuff https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313946053578 ) he seems fine in himself trying to get away from me, flapping, he's got pellets, grit, dust in case he wants a bath, he's got water and I don't have anything to treat coccidiosis (though have ordered it) but put apple cider vinegar in with his water to help digestion.... could he just bee constipated? Might post this on a new thread to be fair but thought it might link up with the above.
Oh no! Sorry to hear about mr mcquail, there are some very experienced quail keepers on here that I expect will be happy to help so I’d definitely start a new thread for him.

I had the same issues finding quail food here in the uk and I have to avoid any physical contact with wheat or oats which is why I started looking for alternatives but I’m still experimenting so can’t confidently help much, they responded to my addition of oregano in their insects to help with the coccidiosis by stopping eating them or any grains and just ate cannabis seeds instead.

I’m not sure how mine caught coccidiosis, my dogs are terrible for eating goose poo so could be I ruffled them and then picked up a quail or maybe some of the greens I foraged for them were contaminated. Humans and dogs can catch it and it’s not easy to get rid of.

Cannabis seeds are 30% protein with a complete amino acid profile and quail looove them so I’d try adding enough of them to the heygates to reduce the calcium to the appropriate level for males and then provide oyster shell separately for the ladies.
Depending on how much is needed I don’t think it would change the balance too much.

Spirulina or chlorella mix with other things easily and are a good way to increase the protein.

Hope your boy feels better soon, calcium overdose takes a while to kill them so it’s unlikely to be that if you’ve not had them long.

Hi folks, I've been hit and miss on here since getting my quail. They've been keeping me busy!

I wanted to speak to some more local quail owners. I recently found out that feeding dried mealworm / calciworm etc is ILLEGAL in the UK re DEFRA and re food chains etc. I had to google it a fair bit and I'm not particularly interested in hearing anyone say "Oh well I still do it bla bla bla" or if you're not local and in a different country with different rules (this is what's doing my head in most re quail ownership so far, the lack of consistent info and differences across countries which aren't always clearly stated on sources - that and lots of info being focused on meat and egg production which of course is the majority and needed but doesn't always feel like the best info for raising happy healthy birds that can just live their lives)

Luckily I haven't fed my bevy any kind of dried worms yet - unluckily I bought a massive 3-litre bucket of them I'm now giving away to a mate with a massive garden for their wild birds.

I've been following a few more threads with UK and EU folk and wondered what my alternative tasty treat could be for my birds? They don't get excited by much, I'd like to give them something (hence impulse buying calciworms which they probs would have loved from looking at people and places that can and do feed them these.)

So I was wondering if some of the new folk I've followed like @Ital (loving your thread on free rein feeding!) @Perris @Gigachad poultry and anyone else UK / EU based wants to give me any info or tips? Thanks in advance! Especially if I get nice, understanding, responses haha
I found the same problem , I give my Quail (and hens) oats and corn as treats. I only have a few so often use the frozen and packets from the stores with my groceries.

Back
Top Bottom