Quail nesting boxes and waterers

ChickenTender1988

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2018
Hey everyone!
I'm new to quail. I have 50 in an aviary in our barn. They are just coming up on the 5 week mark and I'm busy getting their pen set up for laying.
My first question, what do you prefer to use as a nesting spot? I've read they like more "natural nesting boxes" as opposed to standard ones like chickens. How many spots per bird?
My second question, what do you use for automatic waterers?

Thanks in advance!

I can't speak on nesting boxes (mine have yet to start laying) but I've had great success with horizontal chicken nipples. The birds took to it fast, and there's no leaking or getting bedding in the water.

In general it's hard to get quail to use nesting boxes. They'll often use a corner of the enclosure, many lay in their dust bath (particularly if they are kept in wire bottom cages), some will prefer an actual box, if hay or similar nesting materials are available some choose to lay where that is - and then some just lay their eggs in the middle of the enclosure.
I read a research paper on nest boxes for quail once and as I recall they never got more than 2/3 or so of the hens to use the nest boxes, even with the 'best' design they came up with (which was something about vertical slits in the sides of the box I think).. So really, you don't need to worry about it, but try to provide a few different places where they can feel a bit sheltered and maybe they'll lay there.

In general it's hard to get quail to use nesting boxes. They'll often use a corner of the enclosure, many lay in their dust bath (particularly if they are kept in wire bottom cages), some will prefer an actual box, if hay or similar nesting materials are available some choose to lay where that is - and then some just lay their eggs in the middle of the enclosure.
I read a research paper on nest boxes for quail once and as I recall they never got more than 2/3 or so of the hens to use the nest boxes, even with the 'best' design they came up with (which was something about vertical slits in the sides of the box I think).. So really, you don't need to worry about it, but try to provide a few different places where they can feel a bit sheltered and maybe they'll lay there.

Perfect! Thank you!

Wherever they happen to spend most of their time ends up being the nesting box. For me, that is usually the sand box.

They have been domesticated to the point that they really don't care where they lay since they'll never be going broody.

I prefer horizontal chicken nipples. And they aren’t supposed to freeze up in freezing temps, provided the water container is heated.
My birds sometimes lay in their shelter. But mostly just wherever. It’s Easter every day lol

Back
Top Bottom