Quail Pen

wadz

Hatching
Apr 21, 2017
Just thought I'd share a pen I will be building for a friend.

I did research to design this cage, and I'd like to give back to this forum as I found a lot of information here.

This cage should allow for 10 quail (2 roosters, 8 hen). I would recommend anchoring the legs to the ground with some rebar hammered into the ground so it won't be blown over. Be sure you seal/paint everything as well.

This uses 2x4 and 1/2" plywood. The top is open for access to install lights and for breeze. The roof is pitched 3:12 (14.04 degrees) to ensure that water doesn't wick under shingles. I tried to make the dimensions visible in the images, but you can always just download the sketch and look for yourself.

Sketchup 2017 Download Design

Front

Back

Exploded

Back (1/2 plywood)

Cross Rails (2x4)

Door Face (1/2 plywood)

Front Posts (2x4)

Middle Dividers (2x4)

Partition (1/2 plywood)

Rear Posts (2x4)

Roof Middle Rails (2x4)

Roof Side Rails (2x4)

Roof Support Rails (2x4)

Roof (1/2 plywood)

Screen Door (2x4)

Side & Middle Rails (2x4)

Side (1/2 plywood)

Solid Door Frame (2x4)

Upright Nailers (2x2)

Last edited:
I had trouble with possums nawing at my quail's toeswith just one layer of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I added another layer about 1-2 inch below it and it stopped the possums from getting to my quails toes, but their poop doesn't go through well on the second layer. I'll have to change the hardware cloth to a bigger size.

Wish I'd thought about that. We already built one cage, and it turned out pretty well. Needs some paint and some birds.For the doors I ended up using half laps instead of mitered corners.

Your blue print is WAAAYYYYYYY better than mine. My blue print looks like chicken drew it up.

Haha, thanks! I know it's not completely documented, and there's no instructions on assembly. But, glue and screws where it looks right should be good enough. Sketchup makes it really easy to design these kinds of things. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to give it a shot, or just look at these plans.

I don't know if you can tell it, but I also added an extra wire mesh on the bottom to keep rats/hawks/racoons away from the quails feet. I understand nature can be pretty cruel.

Haha, thanks! I know it's not completely documented, and there's no instructions on assembly. But, glue and screws where it looks right should be good enough. Sketchup makes it really easy to design these kinds of things. I highly recommend it for anyone who wants to give it a shot, or just look at these plans.

I don't know if you can tell it, but I also added an extra wire mesh on the bottom to keep rats/hawks/racoons away from the quails feet. I understand nature can be pretty cruel.
The additional protection is a great idea. I've had birds get ripped thru the bottom, and sides of a cage with to large of a mash.

Nice drafting by the way. I work for a steel fabrication co, and most detailers we try and hire can't do that well.

Have a great day!!

Jay

I had trouble with possums nawing at my quail's toeswith just one layer of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I added another layer about 1-2 inch below it and it stopped the possums from getting to my quails toes, but their poop doesn't go through well on the second layer. I'll have to change the hardware cloth to a bigger size.

Great work, looks super functional :D I was thinking of doing something similar, except with a movable house part that I could switch between two planted beds so every week or so I could just rake around the dirt/put sprouting seeds in it so there's no cleaning and they're enriched and safe from predators :)

Back
Top Bottom