Quail Coop Modification

Oob Child

Crowing
May 13, 2023
So, I have three female quail in a 2 layer rabbit hutch. Not sure of size, but I thought it would be enough for 2 more jumbo quail to fit in.

I ordered 12 eggs, hoping for at least 4 to send to my nan and pop's, letting me keep two or three. Turns out, there are only 4 fertile eggs. I wanted any I would have to keep all of them given my conditions, not going into those though.

Point is, I have a plan for expanding my cage. It's a pretty big task, but I think I can manage it. Thanks in advance to anyone that helps/can draw up a design. No one has to do anything, but it would help me a lot and help my birds.
Here's my 1st design:
iMarkup_20230802_203844.jpg

Here's my second design: (the one I prefer, harder to pull off though)
iMarkup_20230802_205601.jpg

The blue stuff is wire.
The pink stuff is roofing wire.
The red is some sort of ramp, maybe wooden to go with my enclosure.
The green stuff is flooring.

What can I use to stop this damaging the flooring? Do I make some kind of crate thing? Do I buy a crate and use something to protect it? What can I use to protect it?

Is their any way I can protect the two square things holding my supplies below the cage and turn them into the cage extension? I would much rather do this somehow. If I have to buy a new thing for it to sit on, so be it.

Would I be able to make a hole and get a ramp going around the side so the quail can get to the squares below?

I need to somehow still be able to get to that opening so I can clean their water and change their food.

Is this even possible?
What materials do I need?
I really have no idea what I am doing. Help.

I have about 8 weeks to pull this off. I know I can just re-home the chicks, but I'll only do that if I have to. Besides, there might not be all 4 of the hatching.

I would still like to make the space nicer for my other birds.

I have about 8 weeks to pull this off. I know I can just re-home the chicks, but I'll only do that if I have to. Besides, there might not be all 4 of the hatching.

I would still like to make the space nicer for my other birds.
In my experience they don’t use ramps if they are big and long like that only short ramps. Is there any way you can move the cage over a bit and on the side that has bars there cut those out and add a wire extension with plywood flooring if you don’t want them on wire.

In my experience they don’t use ramps if they are big and long like that only short ramps. Is there any way you can move the cage over a bit and on the side that has bars there cut those out and add a wire extension with plywood flooring if you don’t want them on wire.
Kinda like this and you could also maybe wrap it around the corner are so it’s a bit bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_3013.jpeg
    IMG_3013.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 4
I too, have doubts about them using a long ramp, but have you considered a 50 gallon plastic tote? You can cut out most of the top and cover it in hardware cloth. Then you can just take the top off to clean the tote. Since it's plastic, it's light enough to clean easily. I use them for brooders and have housed a pair of buttons in one.

I too, have doubts about them using a long ramp, but have you considered a 50 gallon plastic tote? You can cut out most of the top and cover it in hardware cloth. Then you can just take the top off to clean the tote. Since it's plastic, it's light enough to clean easily. I use them for brooders and have housed a pair of buttons in one.
Could I possibly extend the cage using this and a short ramp through the side of the hutch?
Mine are good at using the ramp in their hutch, but if that doesn't mean they are good with long ones.. I would rather cut wood than the wire on the side of the cage, it's very thick and I don't think I could do It very well.
Kinda like this and you could also maybe wrap it around the corner are so it’s a bit bigger.
Ohh I understand. I don't think I'm capable of that, though.

I'm drawing up a new idea now.

iMarkup_20230803_072708.jpg

I like the idea of having an extension out the front, but that would mean a long ramp. The tote would be close to the supplies so the ramp wouldn't be as long as it looks, but still a bit long..

Back
Top Bottom