Quail Pens/Housing

You don't know the breed of your quail? Would be easier if you posted pics of your quail, then someone should be able to tell you what breed they are..

I can't help but wondering, do you really think that if you gave the quail the option between a small battery cage with a wire bottom and a larger flight pen with a dirt floor, hiding places and such, it would spend as much time in the wire bottom cage as in the flight pen? I have never had coturnix, but I am very convinced that even if food and water was only available in the battery cage, my buttons would spend just about every second of the day when they were not eating, in the flight pen.
Coturnix might have been bred in captivity for more than a thousand years, but they have evolved in freedom for much longer than that. You can't breed all instincts out of them just by placing them in an environment where they don't need them, for a few thousand generations. You can weaken them, sure. And the birds might be both happy and healthy in their battery cages. But unless you have given them the choice - which you might have, in which case my assumptions about the preferences of coturnix might be wrong - I don't think it's right to say they don't care..
Again it's Personal preference, I have quail on the ground in big cages, I have some in battery cages, I have yet to see any change in behavior. So even were on the ground and then placed in cages. Still no change. Most people do have the space to house quail in huge flight pens, that's why COTs were used for food. They are the best with as little of space possible.

By all means, if you have the space, make them a big cage/flight pen. They are fun to watch fly around. More so if you want them as pets, but for me I keep these birds for food, eggs, and selling. So it doesn't fit my budget to house them in massive pens where I have to search for eggs all the time, with a 40-60 hour a week job, I don't have the time to deal with that. But as I stated, I would love to see huge flight pens full of cover and COTs flying everywhere. If someone is doing that they need to post some videos and pictures.

0.jpg
Anyone that thinks quail are just dumb birds with no emotions watch this video.. this woman has some very interesting videos on her channel.

Kinda like dogs, they associate her with food. If she stopped give them food, they would just ignore. That is a cool video though, but some of us just don't have the time to spend training quail. My birds are food, and egg layers, no attachments here...

Kinda like dogs, they associate her with food. If she stopped give them food, they would just ignore. That is a cool video though, but some of us just don't have the time to spend training quail. My birds are food, and egg layers, no attachments here...
When people stop giving me food I also will just ignore ha ha.

This is my Quail Tractor. I didnt like the idea of cleaning up under them all the time or emptying trays regularly, so i thought of a chicken tractor and designed it to roll around the yard moving it every couple of days. It turned out super lightweight and easy to move.

Would you mind sharing the dimensions for this quail coop?

Back
Top Bottom