Quail Sizes

optic1

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
Tri-Cities WA
I was at a field trial for hunting dogs using quail. When I was talking about the Coturnix Quail we got on the topic of size. I was told that they use only the small ones so I figured that's what I have. I was told the mediums and jumbos don't fly when they use them for training. And when I mention where I got my Breeding stock I was told I have mediums and they do not fly and you need to kick them out of the way in the pen. Sounds like mine. So is there a small and medium Coturnix? We are aware of the Jumbo's.

There Are Smaller "pharoah" Sized Birds Out There. Imho All Coturnix Just Absolutely Suck For Dog Training. I Love The Lil Birds But They Just Arent Up To Par For A Good Training. I Have Yet To See A Decent Flier In The Coturnix World. And Even The Ones That Do Fly Decent Distances Suck At Flushing
sad.png
Couple That With Training The Dog On The Wrong Scent And Confusing A Young Dog--- Just Bad Mojo For Training There.

Yea thats what i figured after watching them. One of the guys though said he buys birds from a hatchery in Georgia and they are smaller and fly really well.

Whether they were raised as caged birds or have been in a flight pen makes a huge difference. We always put some in a flight pen for those who want to train dogs. Even had a guy last year buy 20 to see how they would do if he just released & hunted them. He came back and bought a bunch more - said they flew good. Ours are the larger size birds also.

mine are in a big flight pen , if they get out they just walk around and u pick them up. they know they have it made.

Back
Top Bottom