Quail very sick!!!

Hello, sorry about your poor little quail's toe! Yes, this does look like bumblefoot, which is an infection where bacteria gets into a small nick or cut in the foot. It's best to have a vet take a look and remove the "core" of the bumble, so that it can heal.

I had a coturnix with bumblefoot in his main footpad, and the vet gave him a gas to "knock him out" while he performed the surgery (there was a LOT of blood, very thankful I didn't try anything at home). We had to keep his foot wrapped for several weeks so it could heal, and give antibiotics for about a week to prevent reinfection. It all went well, I just wish I'd taken him sooner instead of trying to treat it myself with soaking treatments that didn't work (poor quail guy)!
I treated bumblefoot at home the same way and fainted afterward, apparently I’m not the most fabulous with ✨blood✨

Bumblefoot? Ive never seen it in quail myself but it’s not impossible I’m sure. It could be old age and maybe something else combined. 3 years is a pretty good lifespan average for a coturnix I believe.
Just what I thought. Sounds as if the quail has been walking on a surface that damages its foot in some way.

Back
Top Bottom