Quail wire floor sizing help

chicken_angler

Coop Constructist
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
a house
I am needing help choosing the right size wire floor for my quail.Right now I have Coturnix quail. I currently have a 1/4 inch floor for them but their droppings dont fall through too well. If i go with 1/2 inch floor, will they get their legs stuck? I have a lot of 1/2 inch wire and I need to build a bigger flight pen for them.

Thanks!
Cody!!

I am using 1/2 X 1 1/2" my Bobs walk on it OK but the droppings still sometimes hangup the coturnix take a little getting used to it at first . I have been putting mine out at about 4 weeks

My coturnix have 1/2" by 1" wire on their floors and don't get their legs stuck
smile.png

Agree 1/2 will be perfect, it's big enough for the droppings to fall throu but small enough so they won't get their feet stuck, I have 2 week old coturnix on 1/2 and never had a problem with them getting their feet stuck.

Cool. Also, what age can I bring my Coturnix chicks outside without heat anymore? They are just over three weeks old now. Will they lay in a week or two?

Cody!!

I put my Bobs on 1/2 in after 1 week, Controux are so large you could probably as soon as they are dry, but I give them a week on paper regardless.

Just put Texas A&M's on 1/2 x 1 wire today at 14 days. Had them in a fish tank. Cleaning every day got to be more than I wanted to do with every one else to take care of.
Put jumbo Browns out inside a shed at 17 days with no light. I wrapped a wire rabbit cage witth 1 inch chicken wire for them.

All the cages I use have spacing in the floor that is too big for my Coturnix so I use 1/2 inch plastic to line the floors with great results. Poop goes through-with a little help from foot pressure-and no foot problems.

Back
Top Bottom