Quail won’t stop CROWING.

TeePants

Songster
10 Years
Aug 11, 2011
It’s 4AM, and our ridiculous male (no idea which one) won’t stop CROWING. I’m about to go out in my PJs and throw them into a bin for now in the house so that their ridiculousness doesn’t wake the neighbors. We were trying to wait so that they were a bit bigger before processing them, but this is too much noise in too small an area!

Every website I had read insisted they had a “gentle and soft crow”, and indeed normally it’s not too bad, but this morning it is incessant.

I feel awful, I know it’s got to be driving the neighbors nuts! Is this normal? Should we just get rid of all the boys now (we had hoped to keep one or two)?

The more males you have, the louder the crowing. What age are they???? You can start processing extra males at 6-8 weeks. Waiting past that does not give you much change in yield compared to feed cost.

The more males you have, the louder the crowing. What age are they???? You can start processing extra males at 6-8 weeks. Waiting past that does not give you much change in yield compared to feed cost.
Almost 5 weeks - they hatched around 5/5.

I pulled two out that I know are males and one more that I am pretty sure I saw crow (I managed to get a conjunctival abrasion yesterday which is a fancy word that means I scratched my eyeball so it’s hard to see properly LOL).

There was at least one other one crowing while I was dealing with those three, but they’re being awfully quiet now. I know one of the two creamy colored ones is a boy, but those are the kid’s favorites and I’m hoping with the other three out he’ll settle down.

I should add, while they do occasionally crow (and one night at 1am one of them went off about something, I suspect a cat) they’ve never gone on for half an hour almost non stop like this.

I’m afraid the ones I pulled are tragically not going to make it to 6 weeks. I don’t DO 4am. Not for anything. :tongue I’m sure the neighbors don’t either. I just ordered some poultry shears I saw recommended elsewhere and they’ll be here this afternoon. I’m hoping 1 week won’t make much difference here or there, we’re going to skin and spatchcock them anyway because I’ve only ever cleaned fish and even that was a very long time ago.

It definitely sounds like it's time for those shears. My Easter hatch was about 3/4 boys, and it got loud. I took a Saturday to process 21 of them, and it was amazing how quiet Sunday morning was.

I pulled two out that I know are males and one more that I am pretty sure I saw crow (I managed to get a conjunctival abrasion yesterday which is a fancy word that means I scratched my eyeball so it’s hard to see properly LOL).

There was at least one other one crowing while I was dealing with those three, but they’re being awfully quiet now. I know one of the two creamy colored ones is a boy, but those are the kid’s favorites and I’m hoping with the other three out he’ll settle down.

I should add, while they do occasionally crow (and one night at 1am one of them went off about something, I suspect a cat) they’ve never gone on for half an hour almost non stop like this.

I’m afraid the ones I pulled are tragically not going to make it to 6 weeks. I don’t DO 4am. Not for anything. :tongue I’m sure the neighbors don’t either. I just ordered some poultry shears I saw recommended elsewhere and they’ll be here this afternoon. I’m hoping 1 week won’t make much difference here or there, we’re going to skin and spatchcock them anyway because I’ve only ever cleaned fish and even that was a very long time ago.
My grow out has been relatively quiet, but I only had 2 boys in male jail, and I put a bunch of branches in front of the pen so they can’t see out well and that helped. Yesterday I did a vent check in the grow out, and added 4 boys to jail, it’s very loud out there now. I have some hungry snakes lined up for them next week lol.

Just wanna add, my adult males who are around 8 months old very rarely (if ever) crow anymore. I don't know if this is just my experience, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue to keep a couple.

Just wanna add, my adult males who are around 8 months old very rarely (if ever) crow anymore. I don't know if this is just my experience, but it shouldn't be that much of an issue to keep a couple.
I have 6 pens as well with 1 male with his group of hens and mine are pretty quiet as well. I think once a roo has an established harem he doesn't feel the need to make so much noise.

Besides vent checking, one way I found that was easy to see if I had a male or not was to put it in a kennel (or whatever container) and then keep it inside with me where I could hear it. They will eventually crow looking for friends. If they don't crow after 30 minutes, pretty good chance it's a female. I don't know how big your flock is, but just a tip in case you have some you're not sure on.

Besides vent checking, one way I found that was easy to see if I had a male or not was to put it in a kennel (or whatever container) and then keep it inside with me where I could hear it. They will eventually crow looking for friends. If they don't crow after 30 minutes, pretty good chance it's a female. I don't know how big your flock is, but just a tip in case you have some you're not sure on.
Thanks for this, I DO have some I’m not sure about, and I also have a small kennel that would work well. I haven’t heard a crow since the ruckus this morning thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom