Quality of OEGB

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I know the hen sucks as far as quality because she has a rosecomb, but the roo?

I know he'll have to be dubbed, but he's 11 months old now, so does he have to be if he can be shown in September? Is he worth showing?

22333_duckwing1.jpg

I have just recently learned the answer to the dubbing question. I emailed Karen Unrath at the ABA. She forwarded my email to Rick Hare for the answer to the question if a cockerel can be shown undubbed. He replied with this answer, "You can show a undubbed cockeral, unless it is after November 1st of the year it was hatched. The Standard committee is working on the wording but that is the way it reads currently."...so By this rule your cockerel would have to be dubbed if he is 11 months old because he would have had to be dubbed by November 1st of last year, the year he was hatched.
Also pointed out to me, as I somehow overlooked the fact, a young undubbed cockerel would not be able to compete against an older cockerel because of his lack of condition due to the fact of age. As far as his quality, I would hesitate to make any judgements from a picture...he is definitely a rooster.

Last edited:
yeah, I love all my birds. The reason I'm asking is if he'd be crap at showing, not good typing and such, then why dub him. My mother really is against dubbing because she thinks it's cruel. I don't like it because I think the waddles are adorable
tongue.png

I think a clean dubbing makes the bird 100X better looking. But if you were only keeping him as a breeder it would make sense to leave him as is...

yeah...I guess I have as many undubbed roosters as I have dubbed....the testosterone factoid, probably, is a myth. Frankly if I am keeping the bird for breeding purposes only; I'd rather not have him super-wired with extra testosterone all the time just looking for his next fight....The actual reason for the dubbing requirement is based on the fact that when the standard was written this type of bird was still being actively fought. So as the standard disqualifications are being written, dubbing was considered normal because nearly all the "show" birds were owned and shown by breeders that were also using them as fighters and fighting a bird with combs,lobes,and wattles would not be an option, as I understand. I have heard through the rumor mill that this rule is slated for revision....jmo

dubbing is better to do , keeps them from cutting there comb trying to put head through wire , saves feed a dubbed bird takes less feed , more fertile , and you never know about frostbite , it never snows more than one or two inch here and never sticks , but this last year we had 15 in in one night and stuck for a few days , i had one or two undubed birds that got frostbite , plus you may decide to show him later on might as well get it over with instead of haveing to do it later ,

Back
Top Bottom