Quarantined lone girl and new girls

FloridaChick13

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2015
Naples, FL
So I have had my two original birds (hen and roo) for 7 months which I kept from a total of 6 birds (I had 5 roos). A little over a month ago I got a new girl and since I'm new at this I didn't separate her. I just let her in the coop which didn't go well, she ended up with an injured eye. Could be pink eye or a pecking injury. I put her in her own pen while caring for her. I then got two 8 week old RIR pullets which are in their own pen in the larger run about two weeks ago. How long should I wait before opening that pen and letting the two original birds mingle with the new ones? I have seen one of the originals chase and bully the one with the eye injury so I'm a little worried. Will the quarantined one ever be accepted into the flock?

Don't rush it.

I'd try to get the lone injured bird to bond with the two 8 week olds, then integrate them with the original birds.
Hopefully you're housing them all separated by wire but within sight.
Feed treats along fence lines to they get used to eating 'together'.

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. I just worry. Once the injured girl is back to normal i'll start her with the two RIRs. I do hand feed everyone snacks and everyone can see each other. The original two do get a little jealous when I go to take care of the injured eye. Poor girl has had bad luck-her old flock was eaten by a fox so I took her in but then she got injured and then got worms in one eye (which have been treated already thanks to the remedies of the BYC community.)

Back
Top Bottom