Quechua - Incan Basket Chicken

rottlady

Songster
Mar 20, 2016
Georges Mills, NH
ill preface this with I sent Yasar a private message but not sure they are still a member

I bought 6 eggs but not because I intend to breed this breed

Breeding stock is tailed and rumpless and most of them have winterized faces

I’m looking for links to look up the history

Quechua/Incan basket fowl
Female line can trace there origin back to Theodore Roosevelt’s personal flock that he exhibited at the 1904 worlds fair

The male line can trace their origins back to direct imports of eggs from Peru and Chile during early 90’s ”

I just found a couple of articles that might be relevant...just Googling "Quechua/Incan basket fowl".

The most informative appears to be this one:
https://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Rapa/BRKRapanui.html

These are very interesting-looking birds. I look forward to seeing pics of your wee ones!

Yes, the Rapanui/Quechua and Olmec breeds are indigenous to the Americas, they were brought over by the Polynesian perhaps as earlier as 2000 years ago(they in turn took America's Sweet Potatoes back to their home), they look like intermediate between your Asian stock cross with modern Araucana stock, but predate them

Thanks guys
That info I already found

Turns out I’m not getting them, breederhasbeen really sick so did not get them shipped
Bad illnesses going around this year

Last edited:
Really, I doubt you'll find much in documentation.
You'll find things about the Improved Quechua that was shown at the world fair in the 1930's possibly. But this stuff is all before the internet and digital documentation. I'm sure you can find stuff in someones filing cabinet somewhere. And I'll have to also add that there's a lot of art mixed into this science of breeding.
Yashar

Back
Top Bottom