QUECHUA /Tojuda/ Ameraucana/ Easter Eggers{ In vino veritas

They aren't production layers, however they lay longer into life than production birds. I have some reasonably old birds that still lay pretty well every spring.

Well, that's still better than our spooky kooky jittery jumpy Blue Wheaten Ameraucana that gave us only 3 eggs her 2nd year. Our friends Ameraucana and 3 EEs are poor to non-laying also. The only reason I keep our Ameraucana is because she is non-combative, and nice to all living things. She used to chase out stray cats in the yard but doesn't do that any more either. In addition to organic layer seed and supplemental grains, we feed her shrimp and cooked sweet potatoes and quinoa and cranberries and turmeric since I first researched her diet but none of that helped her 2nd year laying. We supplement with orange cantaloupe because none of our flock will touch pumpkins cooked or raw!! It's a shame too that the Ameraucana doesn't lay because her eggs were a pretty blue. Just really disappointed - never would've invested the money for only 5 months of eggs from a 21/2 yr old bird. My froo-froo Silkies out-performed her and the Silkies are much older hens. When we're zoned for only 5 birds we can't afford any of them to be dead-beats on the budget. I expect old hens to stay around because they still earn their keep but the young 2 yr old hasn't earned much IMO
sad.png
. I can't begin to imagine how frustrating these birds are for breeders to raise and get such poor results.

I have always selected roosters that get along. I do not keep troublemakers. They used to free range and roost in the trees. I have plenty of predators and I always had at least three roosters to a flock. My Quechua no longer free range. I had a problem with raccoons taking them out of the trees at night. I have lost half of my birds and the Quechua are too valuable. In my pen I have a rooster with three cockerel's and they are getting along great. Love these birds!

Last edited:
Years ago we had a Murray/McMurray Ameraucana hen that looked like one of the hen pictured above without the gold on her head, she was a great setter.
LL

I have always selected roosters that get along. I do not keep troublemakers. They used to free range and roost in the trees. I have plenty of predators and I always had at least three roosters to a flock. My Quechua no longer free range. I had a problem with raccoons taking them out of the trees at night. I have lost half of my birds and the Quechua are too valuable. In my pen I have a rooster with three cockerel's and they are getting along great. Love these birds!
I select the best natured cockerels to keep also. Do you sell hatching eggs? I should add one or two more cockerels since the flock free ranges. Thank you.

What is a fibro bird? I ordered her as an Ameraucana; she did lay green eggs.

A fibro, fm, or Fibromelatonic is a chicken that has dark skin, flesh, bones, organs, like silkies. The hen you referenced is fibro, not just black feathered.

You can see it better in these they are my fm naked necks

These birds don't fit the category of this thread just posting them to show what is being talked about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom