Question about coop walls and floors. Building my first coop! :D

QuackerOats

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
I am building my first coop in the next few weeks for 2-3 Rhode Island Reds. Home Depot sells boards in which one side is covered just like a class room white board is. Which I would imagine is much easier to clean than wood or painted wood. I am thinking very seriously about putting these boards on the floor and the walls of the coop. The coop will only be for the chickens, it won't be big enough for a human to walk inside.

Does the chicken's poop ever wind up on the walls? I am wondering whether its necessary to have it on the walls. Maybe just the floor, which will be covered in bedding. Has anyone here used the stuff before?

Any thoughts, tips, or advice appreciated!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have not ever used that before, but now that I know about it I wish we would have bought that instead of the plywood, which we covered in sticky tile... because thats what we had. as far as surfaces They seem pretty similar. I like that it just hoses right off and I don't really have to scrub it too much. I have not seen any poop on the walls but snice my walls also function as doors I still spray them off when cleaning.

I have 3 chickens in my coop right now, I have not noticed poop on the walls. Im sure it can get on there but prob. not often enough to put the white board up which cost more. Maybe having more chickens in the coop may cause poop on the walls, im not sure, im sure someone will say so. I guess if you really want to put up white board on the walls maybe use it to just do like a kitchen style back splash nothing to high, that will save some money.

Back
Top Bottom