Question about egg laying

well, based on that info I would say you need to add oyster shell/crushed egg shells free choice. My piggy hens will always eat the chick starter if available. If she is eating too much chick feed than she doesn't have enough calcium. It won't hurt to add, and hopefully it will fix the problem. Good luck!

If she seems otherwise healthy I agree, just try some extra calcium. My leghorns have layed a "shelless" egg twice since I got them. I just make sure theres oyster shell available and that I don't overdue treats with them and they seem to adjust fine. Good luck, hope that's all it is.

If she seems otherwise healthy I agree, just try some extra calcium. My leghorns have layed a "shelless" egg twice since I got them. I just make sure theres oyster shell available and that I don't overdue treats with them and they seem to adjust fine. Good luck, hope that's all it is.

Thank you. I have egg shells but I will get the calcium also. It's possible that if she is eating too much chick food, the other hens might also be eating too much.

I would think it's a pretty good possibility. My flock rushes over any time they catch sight of chick food. Of all the things they can eat in a day they sure seem to like that :)

Hmm, another question.

I used to raise Yorkies and when I wet the food for the puppies, same food for the adults, the adults would crowd the puppies out to get to the wet food like it was something special.

Ok, I had a little cross beak chick and someone said give her wet food. The other babies would crowd her out to get to the wet food. If I wet the chicken layer crumbles do you think the adults would eat it over the chick starter?

You could probably experiment with it, just make sure to change it often so it doesn't spoil. Then again they may just keep going for your chick feed for a while.

I free feed a 20% protein flock raiser crumble to everyone from chicks to oldest rooster and provide oyster shell and crushed chicken egg shell separately for the layers.
The higher protein is diluted by scratch and other food scraps I like to give.

Sometimes a hen will just have a hiccup in the old egg machine.....especially if there's been a major stress, like a predator attack.

Or she could be older than you think and her machine is just breaking down, especially if she's a production breed bird.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom